Suspected yeast allergy - help please!

I’ve been baking for years but recently I’ve started getting red, itchy skin over my palms and around my fingers whenever I bake with certain types of yeast. Has anyone else ever had this? I’m wondering if it’s an allergic reaction or maybe something more common as it’s only some brands.

I don’t want to touch the ingredients with my hands in bad condition of course, and some of my friends have recommended trying out powder-free disposable gloves like these since they won’t contaminate the food like moisturiser would and I can just toss them out after I use a pair.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with something like this? Are gloves a good idea or should I try to sort the issue first?

Interesting…and I imagine inconvenient. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this.

Yeast is in more places thnt just baker’s yeast. I’m wondering if you react to other sources, though I guess they have a much lower concentration (fruit skins, buttermilk, aged meats, kombucha).

I’d probably get tested. The immune response can change over time and become more or less of a problem, so it’s probably best to know exactly what you’re allergic to. Google tells me that instant yeast has a couple of other ingredients apart from yeast.

The main thing is sanitation.

I’m sorry you’re going through this, and I hope you find a solution. I came to Reddit to search for yeast allergy and saw your post and saw your picture, I have exactly the same hives on my wrist and, palms, knees, and it looks like it appears when I eat bread, previously I thought it was some skin infection, so I did consult a dermatologist on intolerancelab.co.uk. He told me that it was allergic. Unfortunately, it appears that you need to consult with a different allergist. Until then, eat what makes your body happy and advocate for yourself. I hope you get some answers soon!