Steakhouse type dark bread recipe anyone?

I’ve been searching for a recipe that closely resembles the sweet dark bread, now commonly referred to as a ‘steakhouse dark bread’. The bread recipes I’ve seen typically include a combination of whole wheat flour, other grains (barley, rye, oats, etc) molasses, and some cocoa (for color?). I still haven’t found a recipe that makes a close comparison.

Once upon a time, I believe this type of bread was called ‘squaw bread’ but ‘native grain’ bread is a much better description.

Does anyone have a good recipe for this type of bread?

Thank you,
Lori

@lorigenes, I find this recipe right here on Breadtopia to be an excellent dark bread that just may be similar to what you’re looking for. You can put in the seeds or leave them out. You may even be able to add some cocoa if you want. This is a dark bread that to me, resembles a decadent pumpernickel. You might consider giving this a try to see how you like it.

Leah

1 Like

Thanks Leah. Can you let me know the name of that recipe?

I am SO sorry!!! I thought I added the link! Here it is: https://breadtopia.com/sourdough-rye-bread/

Leah

This is a lot like the Outback bread that I so love:

Honey Wheat Bushman Bread

1 1/2 cup water, warmed
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
2 cups bread flour
2 cups wheat flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon caramel color, optional
3 tablespoons cornmeal, for dusting

Place all of the ingredients in the bread machine and process on dough setting. The dough will be a little on the wet side and sticky, but if it seems too wet add more flour. When dough is done let it rise for 1 hour.

Remove from pan, punch down and divide into 8 portions. Form portions into tubular shaped loaves about 6-8 inches long and 2 inches wide. Sprinkle the entire surface of the loaves with cornmeal and place them on 2 cookie sheets. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with whipped butter.

I hope you like it.

1 Like