Sprouted Wheat Sourdough Bread

I am reviving this post again, hoping for new insights
I have been baking with sprouted ancient grains, home milled flour. Most of the sprouted grains I normally use are dried at lower temperature. There is health benefits to this, but the price is the stickiness of the bread.
Does anyone has any updated insight to share?
Thank you in advance,
A

Hi Melissa!

Could the overnight fridge proof be extended at all (My fridge is very cold) timing-wise I’m looking more at around 20h? or would it overproof? perhaps I should eliminate the bench rest? It is also currently winter here and very cold.

I’ve been doing an experiment with two different starters and found that one seems to have more cold adapted yeast and bacteria and thus in the fridge, the doughs from it develop much faster than doughs from my other starter. All other factors were equal.
A long way of saying it’s probably a matter of trial and error and observation.

1 Like

That makes sense! I will give it a go. Thanks again

1 Like

Hi Melissa!

I recently purchased some red hard sprouted wheat flour. I’m not sure if it’s bolted or not. It definitely looks sifted but my dough is not as white as yours. (much darker). I’m waiting to hear back from the supplier, but if it isn’t bolted must I just up the hydration?

Thanks in advance :grinning:

Exactly! More bran usually needs more water, but go slowly with because a different flour brand could be less (or more) thirsty anyway.

1 Like

Can I make my starter with sprouted wheat?

Of course you can.

With sprouted wheat, your starter might ripen a little faster, and if left unfed, lose it’s gluten structure faster too. This is all due to the higher enzymatic activity. But starter doesn’t have to have gluten strength, so the only concern would be if your bread recipe used massive amounts of starter and you wanted a very open crumb.