Sprouted Grain Experiment

Uploading…
The loaf pictured was made with, except for the starter, 100% sprouted flour that was 28.5% rye and the rest white wheat. That is a combination that I’ve used several times using grain not sprouted with good results. Wanted to see the difference sprouting made. The procedure and hydration was as close as one can get on separate bakes. There was three major differences, the fermentation times were faster with the sprouted,the sprouted had oven spring simular to the unsprouted but kind of collapsed when placed on the cooling rack, and the sprouted loaf had a sweet taste like there was a large dollop of sweetener added. The first and last are accounted for by the release of sugars during the sprouting but why the collapse could it be starch attack due to shorter fermentation and less acidity or is it just a result of using sprouted flour. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It should be noted that the grain was sprouted, dried at a temperature so it was not diastatic, and ground right before mixing.
One thing I found out during this process is that some weight was lost during the sprouting and drying. I started with 360g of grain and when it was weighed just prior to grinding only 349g a little over a 3% loss. Since I have no way to measure moisture the logical thing would be to assume that the grain had a lower water content after drying than before sprouting. Has anyone had a simular experience?

Stu

Very interesting!

I’ve never made a 100% sprouted-flour bread, but it is on my to-do list.

I think the Breadtopia sprouted grains may be a bit dryer than the regular grains, not sure. I will try to do a comparison with volume and weight later today or tomorrow. Edited to add: maybe rather than rough volume, I should count out like 50 grains of each
:thinking:

I rehydrated some sprouted rye berries in order to make a rugbrod, and 260g of berries absorbed about 100g of water. Not sure what you can do with that info LOL but there you have it.

I will be curious about the results of your 100% sprouted try. Always before when using sprouted flour it has been more of an additive rather than the main component.

This one was 38% home-milled sprouted spelt. I used so much AP starter (38% too), though, that maybe it’s a little smaller percentage in real-feel.

72% organic bread flour
38% home-milled whole grain sprouted spelt berries
72% h2o
38% cold starter
2.5% salt