Sourdough Waffles and Pancakes

Originally published here:

1 Like

For our little family of 2, this sourdough waffle recipe (as of this morning) has set the bar, to where I don’t believe I will try another rendition…I’ve tried PLENTY! Failures have never been an issue, because I always have my stash of starter that lets me continue my sourdough journey. But now, I can simply look forward to the easiest and tastiest version ever. A little more butter in this recipe, gives it the edge. I made (and will continue) exactly half of this recipe, and it went into our old Sunbeam waffle maker…a perfect breakfast for two.

1 Like

I want to try this recipe but only have whole wheat starter as I use it for whole wheat sourdough bread. Can I use it in place of the white starter for this recipe and still use all purpose flour for the flour part?

Sure. It’s a very flexible and forgiving recipe.

I need to feed my extended family - 6 people. If I double the recipe do I need to double the amount of starter?

Yep… Keep the same ratio for everything!

Edit: as a general rule. If you wish to change the starter % then other things need to be altered like timing! However if you wish to stick to the recipe and method then keep the same ratios.

1 Like

Yummy! We will definitely be making these again. I was a little nervous about how thick the batter was before adding the eggs, but it became a beautiful fluffy waffle mix once the eggs were added. I got 3 full size belgian waffles from this recipe. So good!

Im new to sourdough so I’m not sure if there is a reason we add baking soda the next day and not sift it in with the flour?
Thanks!

Baking soda activates once it is wet and in contact with acid, so if you mixed it in the night before, the bubbles would likely be popped by morning.

1 Like