Sourdough Turkish Pide (Ramazan Pidesi)

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

I’m on another gluten free baking roll at the moment. Not because I need to, rather its a chance to use and appreciate, other grains for what they are. So when I’m back on the gluten this recipe is bookmarked. Looks amazing!

1 Like

This is going on my baking bucket list for sure!

1 Like

I made the pide last week, it was amazing! Great fun to try. I didn’t have sesame seeds or nigella seeds, so I topped it with Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel Seasoning.

1 Like

This was fun to make. Looking forward to eating it this evening.

1 Like

Thank you so much for posting this recipe (and for the khachapuri one several weeks ago!). When I’m in Vienna I always make a pilgrimage to the Naschmarkt (open air food market) and go to the Turkish/Bosnian stalls for flatbread and mezze appetizers for a picnic. This bread brought back all those fun memories, as well as being an interesting project to make. I found my dough a lot wetter than your pictures seem - it never reached that domed rise in the bulk fermentation, and it was definitely soft to handle. But it cooked up beautifully even if the molasses topping and perhaps just a few minutes too long in the oven made it over-caramelized a bit on top! Çok teşekkürler!

2 Likes

It looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing the photos and the story. I haven’t been to Vienna in 24 years…sheesh time flies.

1 Like

Made the Pide today and it came out outstanding. Can’t thank you guys enough for sharing this recipe. Been looking for a similar recipe for Armenian Matnakash on sourdough starter and this one was closet I found. Followed the recipe exactly. Next time will experiment with whole wheat flour and add variety of seeds. Made my glaze with the egg and yogurt. So glad I stumbled upon this site. Excited to try other recipes. Thank you again for sharing, my husband loved it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This was delicious! I ended up mixing a bit of mulberry molasses with the egg and yogurt wash but couldn’t taste the molasses.
I’m trying to figure out what I did wrong. The bread was really light and airy but it puffed up a lot and I lost all the details I made with my fingers. Why is that?

When you did the finger pressing/poking, did you reach all the way down to the countertop? Depth and having the dough almost overproofed are the keys, I believe.

Thank you for your response. I definitely didn’t press to the counter. So maybe that was the issue. If it was over proofed i wouldn’t have air pockets though right?

That looks delicious!
To clarify, if the dough is sliding toward overproofed, it will keep the indents more vs. poofing up a bunch. I think there is some benefit to letting this dough edge toward overproofing. But as you noted, if it’s truly overproofed, that wouldn’t be good because the big holes would disappear.
I think your proofing is perfectly fine here, and pressing all the way down would do the trick.

Yay, thank you so much for the feedback! I actually proofed it longer than the recipe mentioned. It stayed in the fridge about 24 hours after the bulk ferment. I was concerned it was going to be flat but quite the opposite. I will definitely be more forceful with the indents next time.
On another note. Is it weird that my dough doesn’t rise much when it’s proofing? I thought maybe it was sluggish so I fed it a few times. But still didn’t get much of a rise in the dough. Yet I got a bunch of air pockets. How is this a thing?

Cold compresses gas, so proofing in the refrigerator can mask some of the expansion of the dough. Maybe that’s what you’re experiencing?

But even when I let it sit on the counter for the four hours I don’t see much change. Is there a way to mend a sluggish starter? Or am I better off getting a new one?

Try keeping your starter a little thicker. It seems to leaven your bread nicely, so you may just be missing on seeing the expansion of the starter because the bubbles flow through and pop.

Ahhh that makes sense! I’ll definitely try that. Yes I do 100% hydration normally. Maybe I’ll keep it thicker. Thank you for the suggestion!

Hi Melissa,
I tried this, but failed.
The flavor of the bread was excellent, but it was too dense. I wondered whether it was the type of flour or my final proof was too long.
Did you use bolted flour? I used sprouted home milled whole grains.
Any tips?
Thanks
a

I used 445g bread flour and only 75g whole grain flour. For that whole grain component, it’s always been home-milled. I know for sure I’ve used rye, einkorn, warthog, and spelt. I think I’ve used sprouted hard red spring wheat also, but am not 100% sure.

Having played with refined flour ciabatta and whole spelt ciabatta, I can say that even with ideal (or best I can do) fermentation, whole grain will be more dense. In that ciabatta recipe, you can see in the photo gallery that there is even a difference between using some refined flour in the sourdough starter vs. zero refined flour at all.

I will try this again
What was your hydration rate for the starter part? I used 100% hydration
I will increase my bread flour, which I believe is bolted.
Thank you,
A