Sourdough Technique Experiment: No Knead vs. The Works

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

This was a most interesting experiment. What dedication and patience! Thank you. It was so validating.

1 Like

Dear Melissa,

Very interesting and honest. I am a serious and some ways advanced home bread baker. I bake 20 loaves a week and am not yet consistent. Especially with the Tartine method. Even though, I use the clock less and read the dough more, why I get great oven spring one time and not even close the next time. Sometimes overnight refrigeration was just right and next time my dough is overproofed. I do experiment and try to change just one variable but hardly get the conclusive information I seek. So, it is good to hear from someone else who is trying to understand what is a elusive for us homebakers than can’t work with a regular schedule. Cheers, Michael Feel free to share more with me [email protected]

1 Like

Wow, what a nice job. Your experience answer many questions I have as I wonder deeper into the “perfect” loaf of bread.

Thanks for your efforts.:grinning:

1 Like

I love the experiment. I almist never use S&F for any bread these days. It’s no-knead every time. I have never had a failure.

1 Like

Thank you for doing this experiment! I love making no knead sourdough wheat bread and have wondered if the much longer method would be worth the extra effort. Great comparison!

1 Like

I wish you’d give an alternative for baking these breeads. I jusr cannot, will not, lift heavy pots in and out of the oven. Can’t I just bake them with steam, like my baguettes?

1 Like

Great experiment and clear, concise write up!

I admit to feeling vindicated … in my head, at least, for all the times when I’ve thought … “I don’t think it needs to be that complicated!”

I spent about 35 years making traditional yeast breads: add flour and knead until you have a soft, firm dough. They were good sandwich and toast breads.

THEN … no knead artisanal which for me was “Artisan Bread in 5” and I felt like I was finally making breads that I loved.

THEN sourdough and my introduction was an adaptation of the Tartine method and starter development via Emma Christensen on TheKitchn. I had good results and then great as I started slowing things down with refrigeration and gradually moved back to less fuss and allowing time to do the work.

I bought a Tartine book and have not made a single recipe because, YIKES … not even fun to read. I’m increasingly grateful to Emma C. for her clear simplified method. I feel similarly about most of Peter Reinhart’s stuff.

All of that said, I’m also learning a lot from Melissa’s recipes and experiments - and other folks on this site. Thanks, Melissa!! and Breadtopia!

1 Like

What was your bulk ferment time on the Einkorn loaves? Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the great research and especially the side-by-side photo documentation. I was especially intrigued with your einkorn experiment since I do mostly whole grain and often “ancient” grain breads.

In your No Knead directions, you say “mix all the ingredients thoroughly”. How did you mix them, by hand or stand mixer? I’ve found it nearly impossible to mix thoroughly by hand (with a Danish whisk) without actually kneading the dough.

1 Like

Melissa,
Thank you for sharing, you dedication is obvious and appreciated. This reminds of a bumper sticker I came across recently - “Don’t believe every thing you think”. I plan to take the no knead advice and run with it.
Happy baking.
G

1 Like

Thank you all for your enthusiasm and appreciation! I love baking and experimenting, and it’s wonderful that this community is here so we can share with one another what we learn.

I’m interested in repeating the experiment with different types of wheat, different degrees of whole grain/extraction, and different fermentation times (leaven percentage and/or temperature).

I think there are conditions under which the more complicated techniques (autolyse, stretching and folding, incorporating additions like seeds and berries in the second stretch and fold), benefit the final breads.

I’d love to hear your results if you do any side by side experimenting too!

@GinaB Yes, you can bake this type of bread on a preheated stone or baking steel/sheet. I believe the bread still has to cook for about 40 minutes, but you will probably need to gauge your own oven. Many recipes suggest 450F for the oven temp from the get-go also, rather than starting at 500 and lowering after 20-30 minutes. I suggest you keep an eye on the bread, clock, and temp the first time you bake this way. If it seems to be getting too dark and is not yet up to temp inside, you can always shove a cold baking sheet under the bread and foil on top. (I say this from experience lol)

@LisaTKS 6.5 hours in a ~69F kitchen

@wendyk320 Yes! I usually end up using my hands to get a nice even mix. When I am not doing an experiment with rules :slight_smile: I like to let it rest a few minutes and then kind of “finish the mix” with my hands.

On a random note, I also like stretching and folding the dough at least once if I am taking a cold somewhat undeveloped dough out of the fridge - to redistribute the moisture and the heat.

both my grandmothers baked bread—this would have been from the early 1900s through the 1950s. i’m reasonably sure that neither of them baked their bread like so many people do these days! i have been baking bread since 1960. i have never understood what all the fuss is about—bread just isn’t that finicky! and homemade bread is so much better than “bought” bread even when it turns out with less than the “perfection” so many people seem to insist on. anybody who wants to take the time to do so can bake excellent bread. yes, they can.

2 Likes

Melissa, thank you for sharing your comparison baking undertaking with all of us. It’s a lovely presentation, clearly explained and beautifully detailed. I’m in awe.
~ irene

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

If nothing else, your results will make people a lot less nervous about baking, showing that even if the instructions aren’t exactly followed, one can still end up with a delicious product.

1 Like

Did you take the bread out of the fridge (after 8.5 hrs) and put it straight into the oven?

I have been so pleased with my results with S&F, however, the 2 hour period is requiring planning for time management. I am excited to try my next loaf with only the no-knead method because of your experience and validation of the bread baker Johnson’s experiment.

1 Like

What is the inside temperature that you recommend?