Sourdough Spiced Fruit Buns

I make these year round - they are basically what we would could Hot Cross Buns in the UK, Australia and New Zealand. The only thing is I can’t be bothered putting a cross on them and glazing them unless it’s Easter. They are too nice to just eat at Easter though :slight_smile: They are also similar to what we’d call Raisin Toast/Fruit Loaf.

Ingredients

Method

Put the ingredients with the exception of the dried fruit in a bowl and combine. Note the recipe list has 150g Bakers flour for starter and 150g water from the starter - therefore the total weight of starter to use is 300g. I use a Dutch Whisk. Once the ingredients are mixed reasonably well let them sit for 30 minutes to absorb the moisture.

Knead the mixture well and let it rise/rest for an hour or so. Then Punch it down, knead it briefly and let it rest for an another hour or so.

Flatten the dough onto your bench and spread the dried fruit onto the dough. Roll the dough up with the fruit and then knead the fruit into the dough.

Divide the dough into 18 equal balls on an oven tray with parchment paper (I use digital scales for portioning). Let them double in size and then bake.

Bake for 19 minutes @ 190 degrees C with a tray of boiling water at the bottom of the oven.

Set on a rack to cool.

Notes

If using a bread machine let the ingredients go through two rises then portion the dough and let them double in size per the above instructions before baking.

IF you want to convert the rolls into fully fledged hot cross buns there are plenty of recipes on the internet on how to pipe the crosses onto them and glaze them. Personally I don’t bother because it’s time consuming and they taste the same without the extra calories.

You can eat them plain and unbuttered or buttered. You can also toast them and butter them as well.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. They look delicious, and I don’t feel like I found the perfect hot cross bun recipe yet… maybe this will be it!

1 Like