Sourdough sandwich bread

Hello! I’ve been making some great sourdough bread recently, but would like to have it rise more to make good sandwich bread. Preferably without adding too much extra yeast. I’m up to three cups starter, with an additional 3 cups flour, 1 Tbls salt, 1 Tbls sugar, and 1/2 cup water. I’ve been adding 2 tsp of proofed yeast, and target the dough to be 79 degrees. This goes into two 4.5 x 8.5 inch bread pans. After about four hours the dough is cresting an inch or so over the pan, but that’s as far as it goes. It doesn’t rise any more in the oven. The result is a slightly dense bread that makes delightful toast, but too small and dense for sandwiches. I’d really appreciate any advice! Thank you!!

Adding more starter ( or more yeast) does not make the bread rise higher, only faster. 3 cups of starter plus 2 tsp of yeast is not needed.

In the upper right corner of the page (this forum site page) there is a magnifying glass icon which allows you to search. Type in “sandwich”. There are many sandwich loaf recipes on this site and you should be able to find one that fits your stock of flour.

2 Likes

Here’s Eric’s easybake sandwich bread method as a video-recipe:

1 Like

Thank you! I just watched Eric’s beginner lesson on sandwich bread and made the dough. I’ll back it this afternoon and report back my results.

Thanks Paul. I’m trying this recipe now. It seemed to require a lot more flour than Eric called for, but we’ll see how it turns out.