Sourdough Recipe from Breadtopia recipe

Dough Seems to be a bit moist and very sticky.

Which recipe are you referring to?

I am referring to Eric’s no kneed original Sourdough Recipe, which uses 260 G of Whole Wheat Flour and 260 G of High Protein (12.7) Bread Flour with 438 G of spring water (non chlorinated)

I have been successful with Sourdough (all white) and Artisan Sourdough Rye Bread. Both turned out fine. I bake in a 5.5 Quart Cast Iron Dutch oven (Round) and I line with Parchment. I’m preheating my oven and Cast Iron right now and will put the dough in soon. Just tried to transfer from Proofing Basket to Cast Iron Cooker but dough was a goopy mess. I pulled it out of the basket and added some flour and remixed. I will see if I can salvage, but will mix another batch and try again. Thank you Abe for your concerns.

Well no knead doughs are supposed to be high hydration which is needed to help develop the gluten when other means are not used. It will rely on hydration and time alone. But at the same time it shouldn’t be a gloopy mess. Ones the dough has finished the bulk ferment it will still be sticky but the gluten development should give it structure and make it manageable. The only thing I can think of is it’s too much water for the flour used. So its a good idea to know the consistency of the dough you’re looking for. See how this bake goes. Plonk the dough in and hope for the best.

Dear Abe,

I pulled the dough and remixed with additional high Protein bread flour and now I have it set asside to see if I get a rise. In the meantime I made a second dough and I’m in the 10 to 12 hour rising time so we will see how that goes. i looked for a dough that was more like the video in appreance. I am using King Arthur Bread Flour, but a local Texas H.E.B. whole wheat. Supposedly a high grade mix. So we will see if it is a quality product. Again, I had great success with two other breads this week. The second and possibly the one contributing factor I did not mention is that I live in the Houston area and yesterday with family over the opened and closed doors with 95% Humidity during my mixing cycle, might have played a role. I’m not experienced enough as a baker to know that though.
Thanks again for the input.

No problem James.

Even humidity can effect the feel of the dough. Its something that comes with practice. Next time you’ll know that a dough which feels like this one is too high hydration and so on. Its always better to hold a little water back at first and it can always be added in later if it feels too dry. Better that way then trying to save it later by adding more flour.

Let’s hope when you take off the lid you get a nice surprise. Here’s to you getting a lovely sourdough bread. I’m whatever the case it’ll be tasty. We’ve all had to eat our way through our fair share of flops on the learning curve.