Sourdough Ravioli with Whole Grain Kamut

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

I cannot believe you did this during the heat wave :slight_smile: !! I followed your story on both Breadtopia and your Instagram. I was sweating even though it was MUCH cooler here in NW Montana!

But, great photos and recipe and it is going on my list of things to make. Kamut Khorasan is my #1 most favorite flour!!

LOL boiling the water on the outdoor grill gas burner did help with the heat wave situation. Roasting vegetables before mixing the dough …not so bright :fire:

I can’t wait to hear about your ravioli. Kamut is quite nice for pasta dough and more!

Your ravioli is a tough act to follow! They look perfect!! So far, although mine taste good, appearance has been a fail…

I put the prettiest ones in the front of the photo :grin:. I have been pleasantly surprised, though, at how an occasional leaky, semi-open ravioli boils up fine and doesn’t come apart in the water.

2 Likes

What does it mean to “de-gas” the dough?

De-gassing is squishing out the air – a very fun activity :slight_smile:

When you roll sourdough pasta, you still sometimes see and hear little bubbles pop, but not much because you’ve de-gassed it.

The process photos that used to be in this comment/post have been added to the recipe above.

1 Like

Additional notes that I’ll also add to the recipe:

I tested out rolling the dough to #5 (thinner) instead of #4. It was still very easy to handle, no tearing.
Doing that resulted in a lot more ravioli: 72 instead of 48. Though I also had fewer scraps due to re-rolling more of them than usual.
The dough weight for these thinner sheets – to fit the Eppiscotispai 12 ravioli maker – was 75-80g instead of 95g.

I have a pasta rolling machine, but after I recently made homemade phyllo dough for spanakopita, I became a fan of the rolling pin.

It’s actually quite easy to get dough thin enough for pasta. (It’s not nearly as thin as phyllo!) Then you flour up your dough sheet, fold it into a convenient tube, cut it, and lay out the strips of pasta on a big baking sheet to boil when you’re ready. You can cut fettuccini if that’s more your preference or even thin spaghetti, knife skills permitting :upside_down_face:

Here is a photo gallery of my recent Pappardelle pasta project. The dough formula was a little different than the ravioli dough in this thread but not by much.

Can you make regular spaghetti with this recipe of dough for ravioli?

I think spaghetti would be fine because the dough has plenty of strength. I haven’t done it myself, as I tend to do thicker noodles like fettuccine or the pappardelle in the comment above yours.

Here’s a photo of fettuccine from this dough. The pasta sheets were rolled to #4 on my machine, but thinner #5 also works well.

Hi Melissa, recipe looks great. I’m going to try making past for the first time. Plan to use the Kitchen Aid roller attachment and then a ravioli tray. Any issue using the KA roller attachment?

Also if I wanted to use 100% whole grain Durham, or 100% whole grain Kamut, or a combination of Kamut and Durum do you have any recommendations. Thanks, Phil