Sourdough Pancakes

I use my starter discard for pancakes. Every recipe I find uses either baking powder or baking salt or both. Why do I need that? One time I think I didn’t stir it in properly and certain bites tasted awful. I’d like to omit entirely and let the pancake batter sit in fridge overnight.

Has anyone a sourdough pancake recipe without baking powder or baking salt?

Thanks.

Baking soda reacts with acid and bubbles form.
Baking powder reacts with acid and heat and bubbles form.
If your starter is really bubbly, you might be okay with the pancake airiness without either of those chemical leaveners.
I really like Eric’s recipe where all the flour in the batter is fermented on the counter overnight (acid creation and benefits of fermentation) and then an egg and 1/4 tsp of baking soda is added in the morning, so the pancakes or waffles are fluffy.

Crepes don’t use any chemical leaveners so you might enjoy them as well.

Thanks for responding! I am starting that recipe tonight, my daughter and grandson are staying. I am doubling it so she has take-home for the freezer, but I’m afraid of 2 sticks of butter. I will try it with one, and see how it turns out. The next time, I’ll make a single batch with 1 stick and see the difference.

Thanks again!

Update: I decided on another half stick. :grinning: I’ll let you know how my daughter likes them

The reviews are in.

My daughter said it’s the best waffle she EVER had and gave it an A1+.

I made my husband’s as pancakes, and he said they were excellent.

So, this recipe is definitely a keeper! Thanks so much for sharing.

I’ve used this simple recipe remember the primary batter they call for is a Levain. I’ve done it with plain starter as well

Buttermilk version

I will try these the next time I’m ready for starter discard. Thanks!

I’m so glad you enjoyed @eric 's recipe! Good to know the butter can be reduced a little.