Sourdough Maintenance, increase/decrease

Hi All, I have a question about increasing or decreasing the size of my starter. I am feeding 50 grams of starter (discarding anything above the 50 grams) with 50 grams of flour and 50 grams of water. If I wanted to increase this could I just keep 100 grams of starter, then feed with 100 grams of flour and water? My starter that I started with flour and water is doing great (2 months old), scared I might mess it up. Would appreciate your comments. Thanks!

You might get twice as many answers as people who answer this (as in for every baker there are 2-3 starter strategies :slight_smile: ). Anyway, here are my 2 thoughts.

1. You should be able to do as you said.
  2. An option would be to keep your 50-50-50 going and use the “discard” to start a 2nd starter with either increased amounts or just don’t discard for 1 or 2 feedings. When you are confident in your larger starter amount, combine or keep both.

I’ve read various reasons for discarding: maintaining ph, maintaining viability of the organisms you want, not having a huge amount of starter. I’ve not had an issue myself with “building” a greater amount by feeding and not discarding for 1-2 feedings.

Thank you so much! Your answer was very helpful. I

1 Like