Sourdough Lemon Rosemary bread

Posted this already in the Baker’s Gallery, but figured I’d add it to the recipe collection.

Sourdough Lemon Rosemary bread – loaf or boule

60 g starter (1/4 cup)
380 g water
400 g all-purpose flour
100 g whole wheat flour (I used khorasan/Kamut, next time I might try spelt)
9 g salt (1 1/2 tsp)
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

Dissolve starter in water.
Mix flours.
Add salt, lemon, and rosemary to flour mix.
Add water/starter mixture to flours, stir to combine.

Two options:

1. No-knead: Cover and let bulk ferment for 10-14 hours (depending on temperature and how the dough looks).

2. Cover dough and let rest for an hour, and then do three rounds of stretch and fold spaced 20-30 minutes apart. I S&F in the bowl and/or by picking the dough up and stretching and folding it over several times in my hands, as @eric does in the Whole Spelt Sourdough video. This depends on how manageable the dough is. I prefer to doing S&Fs to no-knead; they seem to really add structure, and I get better oven spring and a nicer crumb.

Bulk ferment for 10-14 hours. Turn out the dough, fold like a letter/preshape, bench rest, then shape to match your baking vessel and proof for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depending on temps and dough). Preheat oven and baking vessel to 475 about half hour before end of proofing.

Bake covered at 475 for 30 minutes, then remove cover, reduce oven temp to 450, and bake another 10-12 minutes. Let cool for at least an hour before cutting.

Next time I might increase the whole wheat percentage to 25 or 30%, and increase the water slightly as well.

Pic of the crumb from the friend for whom I baked this loaf:

2 Likes

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
Leah

1 Like

Thanks for the tasty recipe. I think I will try it with spelt.

I baked the bread according to instructions and it had decent oven spring and really wonderful flavor. But I was disappointed a bit that when cut open (after a little over an hour) that the crumb was somewhat gummy. Not terribly so, but wondering if I should have left it in longer than 42 minutes. It seemed to make a hollow sound when tapped but maybe not as distinct as other sour dough breads I’ve made that include bread flour in recipe. I’m curious as to why this recipe has the max temp at 475 when most other recipes start at 500. Is this typical of breads that are made with all purpose and not bread flour? When I checked interior temp at the end of the bake it was 211 but I put it back in for a few more minutes for a total of 42 minutes. I will definitely make it again and maybe this time start at 500 and reduce it to 450 like other recipes.

Hi ChiaPetite (lol at your name) - I’m not sure why your loaf came out gummy. Might it have been overproofed? Wait an hour and a half/two hours next time before cutting into it (I know, torture)? If the internal temp was 211, it was definitely done.

I set the temp at 475 only because many of Eric’s recipes (which are the ones I learned from) say to bake at 450 or 475. I bake boules in a cast iron Dutch oven, and the manufacturers of some DOs recommend that they not be used in ovens over 450 (depends on the manufacturer). To make the loaf above I used an oblong clay baking vessel (from Breadtopia). There’s no reason not to bake at 500 if that works for you.

–Susan

Susan, thank you for thoughtful comments. I will definitely wait until completely cool to touch before slicing next time. I think I will also start at 500 then reduce to 450 after 20-30 minutes. You mention wanting to try recipe swapping out some of the whole wheat for spelt. I just bought some spelt and have never baked with it before. Does it absorb water in a similar fashion to whole wheat, or are there alterations to the recipe you would recommend? Probably best to start with the lower range of water for the autolyse, then add more at the beginning of bulk and S/Fs to make a dough that feels right. I notice that Eric preheats his clay DO with the lid on. Another youtuber Foodgeek did an experiment that shows if you keep lid on the vessel during the preheat, the empty interior is significantly cooler than what you were planning on. Maybe this somehow fits in with the random variables that make baking bread challenging in some respects! Its sure fun learning all these factors, and getting to eat the fruits of our acquired knowledge.

Spelt does not absorb as much water as regular hard red wheat. Eric has a great 100% whole spelt recipe on the Breadtopia bread recipe page – you should check it out. I follow that recipe regularly and it’s never failed me. My spelt loaves are usually around 68-69% hydration, including the starter. I made one the other day that had a bit more water in it and it was a big gloppy mess that nearly got away from me before I was able to wrestle it into the clay baker. In the end, though, it rose nicely, tastes and looks great, and is very tender. If you’re just starting with spelt, it’s probably better to stick to around 68% hydration - much easier to work with.

I’d like to add a little lemon juice to this recipe (to replace part of the water). Has anyone done this and is it a problem for the dough???

this recipe reminds me of my favorite bread from our market so I’m looking forward to making this. however, my starter hasn’t matured enough for me to use it, and I’ll be using instant yeast. how would I adjust the water? thanks