Sourdough Lemon Rosemary bread

Posted this already in the Baker’s Gallery, but figured I’d add it to the recipe collection.

Sourdough Lemon Rosemary bread – loaf or boule

60 g starter (1/4 cup)
380 g water
400 g all-purpose flour
100 g whole wheat flour (I used khorasan/Kamut, next time I might try spelt)
9 g salt (1 1/2 tsp)
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

Dissolve starter in water.
Mix flours.
Add salt, lemon, and rosemary to flour mix.
Add water/starter mixture to flours, stir to combine.

Two options:

1. No-knead: Cover and let bulk ferment for 10-14 hours (depending on temperature and how the dough looks).

2. Cover dough and let rest for an hour, and then do three rounds of stretch and fold spaced 20-30 minutes apart. I S&F in the bowl and/or by picking the dough up and stretching and folding it over several times in my hands, as @eric does in the Whole Spelt Sourdough video. This depends on how manageable the dough is. I prefer to doing S&Fs to no-knead; they seem to really add structure, and I get better oven spring and a nicer crumb.

Bulk ferment for 10-14 hours. Turn out the dough, fold like a letter/preshape, bench rest, then shape to match your baking vessel and proof for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depending on temps and dough). Preheat oven and baking vessel to 475 about half hour before end of proofing.

Bake covered at 475 for 30 minutes, then remove cover, reduce oven temp to 450, and bake another 10-12 minutes. Let cool for at least an hour before cutting.

Next time I might increase the whole wheat percentage to 25 or 30%, and increase the water slightly as well.

Pic of the crumb from the friend for whom I baked this loaf:

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
Leah

1 Like

Thanks for the tasty recipe. I think I will try it with spelt.