Sourdough Fruit and Nut Rolls

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

How many quarts is the Breadtopia Cloche Bread Baker - Round hold?

The recipe says to use a 5 qt or larger but I don’t see the quarts listed for the item above?

I love that you calculated the relative surface areas of boule vs roll. You are such a geek! :joy:

I’m not sure about the volume, but the inside diameter in the Breadtopia cloche is 9" which is bigger than the 8" in my 5qt cast iron dutch oven. Three rolls should fit well!

Hahaha you bet I am! :grin:

Thank you!

Melissa,

Your recipe looks great and I would love to try it but I don’t have a home mill, yet. I was wondering what I could use a a substitute for the home-milled unsifted rye berries.

Thanks!

You can use whole grain rye flour or even another type of wheat. The flavor profile will shift a little and you might get a more open crumb depending on what you choose.

Enjoy!

I just made these rolls and they are AMAZING!! For the flour, I home-milled hard red wheat and rye berries. Also, I used a mixture of dried cherries, walnuts and dark chocolate chips, making 8 instead of 6. Baked at 450 convection oven for 18 minutes. Thank you so much for the recipe. I will be making these again soon!

You’re welcome! I’m so glad you enjoyed them. I agree that they’re kinda amazing :slight_smile: It’s surprising, too, because there’s no special trick or unusual ingredient.

I like the idea of 8 rolls and chocolate chips. I’ll have to try that. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hello Melissa,
I would like to make this recipe, but instead of rolls, make it into a Boule and bake it in my cloche. Would the oven temp. stay the same and how long should it bake for? Many thanks for a super recipe.
Cheers!
Constanze

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

It’s about the same size as an average artisan sourdough boule recipe, so I would preheat your cloche at 500F for 30 min, then bake:
500F for 20 minutes lid on
450F for 8-10 minutes lid on
450F 8-10 minutes lid off

@Fermentada, I was curious about the same thing too, making a loaf of bread from the recipe instead of rolls. I’m going to add this variation to my “must try someday” list of bread recipes!

Thanks,
Leah