Sourdough Fruit and Nut Rolls

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

How many quarts is the Breadtopia Cloche Bread Baker - Round hold?

The recipe says to use a 5 qt or larger but I don’t see the quarts listed for the item above?

I love that you calculated the relative surface areas of boule vs roll. You are such a geek! :joy:

I’m not sure about the volume, but the inside diameter in the Breadtopia cloche is 9" which is bigger than the 8" in my 5qt cast iron dutch oven. Three rolls should fit well!

Hahaha you bet I am! :grin:

Thank you!

Melissa,

Your recipe looks great and I would love to try it but I don’t have a home mill, yet. I was wondering what I could use a a substitute for the home-milled unsifted rye berries.

Thanks!

You can use whole grain rye flour or even another type of wheat. The flavor profile will shift a little and you might get a more open crumb depending on what you choose.

Enjoy!

I just made these rolls and they are AMAZING!! For the flour, I home-milled hard red wheat and rye berries. Also, I used a mixture of dried cherries, walnuts and dark chocolate chips, making 8 instead of 6. Baked at 450 convection oven for 18 minutes. Thank you so much for the recipe. I will be making these again soon!

1 Like

You’re welcome! I’m so glad you enjoyed them. I agree that they’re kinda amazing :slight_smile: It’s surprising, too, because there’s no special trick or unusual ingredient.

I like the idea of 8 rolls and chocolate chips. I’ll have to try that. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hello Melissa,
I would like to make this recipe, but instead of rolls, make it into a Boule and bake it in my cloche. Would the oven temp. stay the same and how long should it bake for? Many thanks for a super recipe.
Cheers!
Constanze

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

It’s about the same size as an average artisan sourdough boule recipe, so I would preheat your cloche at 500F for 30 min, then bake:
500F for 20 minutes lid on
450F for 8-10 minutes lid on
450F 8-10 minutes lid off

@Fermentada, I was curious about the same thing too, making a loaf of bread from the recipe instead of rolls. I’m going to add this variation to my “must try someday” list of bread recipes!

Thanks,
Leah

The cranberries I bought are very dry, to the point of dehydrated. Can I soak them overnight if I want to use them in this recipe?

That sounds like a reasonable plan. You can even compare their weight before and after the soak to see how much water gets absorbed – mostly for kicks but also if you have hydration concerns.

As a novice baker I chose Spurdough Fruit and Nut Roll along with the Breadtopia website as a learning tool for baking bread. I want to share with you that I cut the water back to 310 grams then added 20 grams more after the autolyse and experimented using all Bob Red Mill All Purpose Flour, leaving Iowa Dark Rye at 45 grams. I used a mature 12 hour levin made mostly of white flour at 125 grams mixed with 310 grams of 95 degree water. I added 100 grams whole dried cranberries, 30 grams pumpkin seeds and 15 grams of fennel which I soaked in 20 grams of the added water during the first thirty minutes of autolyse. Stretch and fold four times in the first two hours then bulk ferment for 9 hours. Divided into 105 gram portions that went into muffin pan trays. Baked 18 minutes at 425F. This produced the most wonderful bread roll full of flavor, beautiful exterior color and soft interior.

Another version I tried

used bread flour and all purpose flour as called for in the recipes using cut up dried apricots with caraway seeds. Splendid!

1 Like

These rolls look delicious and I love the idea of using a muffin tin. 105g dough – great info. Thank you for sharing.

Yum…made these today and they were so good. I used my rye starter, added raisins and walnuts and a teaspoon of Fiori di Sicilia. I will definitely be making this recipe again. Perhaps as a boule.

1 Like