Sourdough English Muffins

Lactobacillus is a preservative to some extent, but also you’re going to bake the English muffins to over 190’F internal temp. All will be well. I hope you enjoy them.

Thanks so much!

I know Eric likes wheat flour in everything, but can these muffins be made with all bread flour or is the Kamut flour a requirement?

Go for it but add the milk slowly and anticipate holding back maybe about 30 grams of it, because of how whole grain flour tends to absorb more liquid. If you feel the dough is too wet when shaping the muffins, just use more flour on your countertop.

Great - very helpful, thank you!

I baked these today and I’m very pleased. So so simple and very tasty. I happen to make kamut flour but I was wondering if I could use whole grain spelt or whole wheat when I run out of the kamut. Thanks so much.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the recipe. Yes, you can substitute in any number of flours! Spelt dough might feel a little more slack so you could reduce the milk, but I’d play it by ear.

Thanks. I’ll try that.

I am vegan. Can nondairy milk substitute in this recipe and can the muffins be formed and baked without miffin rings?

Vegan milk substitutes are fine. The sugar/fat/protein levels differ in all sorts of milks, but just watch the dough and not the clock for fermentation timing. I noticed that oat milk made for a faster fermenting dough in this recipe: Vegan Sourdough Spelt Sandwich Loaf – Breadtopia

It’s fine to not use muffin rings. They’re helpful for squishing the dough balls into similar size circles, but not necessary.

I’d love to make a vegan version. Easy to substitute the butter and milk, but I’m unsure about the eggs since I’m not totally sure what their function is here - binding? Leavening? Any insight/ideas? Thanks!

I think the main function of eggs here is to soften the crumb with fat and protein, and binding and leavening are a distant second. An average size egg weighs 50 grams and 76% of that is water, so you could sub each egg with ~ 38g water.

This bread is shaped similarly and has no egg and the leavener is chemical (baking soda and powder).

thanks, that’s very helpful!

Test run using Unbleached A/P flour - was a bit moist but easily adjusted. Great taste and very easy - baking will make festivas brunch that much easier!

1 Like