Sourdough dough winding itself around dough hook

I bake sourdough every week… I bake a 50:50 strong white bread flour/home milled wholemeal flour using a 100% hydration rye starter and a 100% strong white bread flour using a 100% hydration 100% white bread starter. I use a kitchen aid mixer fitted with a dough hook to mix each dough. Some weeks the dough just winds itself around the dough hook and I have to stop the mixer and untangle it every second turn, other weeks, it is fine. I oil the dough hook with olive oil, however this makes no difference. ‘Has anyone else got this problem and found a solution? It’s very frustrating as I have to keep stopping the mixer to unwind it``

I don’t mix a lot of dough in the mixer, but just yesterday, I did mix up an enriched dough that had an entire stick of butter. The dough did wind itself around the hook … I don’t remember it doing that previously … but, I let the mixer keep going and even though it looked to be just thrashing around, the butter did get mixed in thoroughly. SO, my only advice is to try letting it keep going, maybe a bit faster and see if in fact does mix/kneed to the point you want even though it might look like it is just riding around on the hook.

From your description, I am not sure I have experienced the same. But one of my mixers does not have a clear indicator which of two dough hooks to put in which hole. Sometimes the dough will stick to the dough hooks and push itself up the mixer to come to the bottom of the mixer. I found that switching the dough hooks to different holes results in the dough climbing down instead of up and avoids the messy problem. Another hand mixer I have doesn’t allow you to switch holes and I have never had that problem.

Hi Janegrove, I always use my stand mixer to knead my sour dough in the pass 5 years or so, because of health issues and can’t do it by hand like I would much rather do. Love the feel of the dough as you may know what I am talking about. Anyway the dough always sticks to the hook at some point & have found to just ignore it, It may look like it is just riding around on the hook. But it does slid off when you look away for a second sometimes I add another 30 seconds to the mix, it always turns out well kneaded, the laws of physics eventually take over. If you are baking an average size loaf, gravity works in your favor, what goes up must come down. Just ignore it & it will turn out fine, maybe the dough will stick to your fingers while you are getting it off the hook to get the dough out of the bowl.

1 Like

Yesterday I mixed a ciabatta dough (very wet) … new to me recipe. Part of the technique (bassinage) was to hold back a large part of the liquid, mix a very dry “dough”, let sit for 30 minutes and then add liquid a little at a time. I always use a mixer for ciabatta but have never mixed this way. It made me think of your issue and if doing something like this might help.

I think ur right. I’ve started mixing my flour & water the night before so that it has plenty of time to absorb all the water. This has helped

1 Like

I have found that if the dough is wet it will wind on the hook until the sides of the bowl start grabbing the dough. You can speed up the mixer to throw the dough off the hook for a short period of time. A small amount of flour on the sides of the bowl sometimes helps.