Sourdough Cookbook for Beginners

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Love to support this site, I have purchased the book.

1 Like

Love sourdough but mine doesn’t have that zing and smell of a good sourdough. Help.

Yours is the BEST website I’ve found about all things bread. My coronavirus project was to learn how to bake yeast bread, and your great products and how-to’s helped me to reach that goal. I’m totally overwhelmed, however, by the idea of tackling sourdough, but if your new book is as good as your website, then maybe I should make that my next goal!

I like my new batard baker. I wish it had a handle on the top lid.

Love the website and the store but I wish your videos had sound.

A question regarding the Basic No-Knead recipe/directions. It says to store the bread cut side down on cutting board cover with a cloth, slice and freeze after 3-4 days. Why do you have to wait 3-4 days, does it get soggy if you don’t?

You can cut and freeze as soon as it cools down. Sorry for the confusion.

0k great thanks!!

A pic of frothed milk!! I was wondering if my starter would look like that. In the next edition/printing get rid of that picture.

1 Like

The vid on scoring was very helpful I had no idea you needed to cut that deep I was wondering why I bought the tool when just holding a blade in your hand would do.

Additionally using a cutting board with the parchment paper did not occur to me. That’s much better then the rough treatment I gave the dough in transferring it.

3rd. I didn’t realize how delicately you needed to peel the proofing cloth off. I was just lifting it straight up and again being too rough with the dough and causing it to deflate a bit.

In the no kneed recipie you use parchment paper. I saw in the scoring technique for batard that you used a much smaller sheet then I did. I used a huge sheet that covered the sides and the lid pinched the paper and my paper got very toasted/burned that hung over the outside. In addition the large piece of paper made huge wrinkles along the side of the oblong loaf and deformed the loaf. So the second loaf I didn’t use parchment paper I thought it was a bad technique. Now that I see I need to use a much smaller piece of paper that makes sense.

I found I was sort of dropping the loaf into the hot clay container from too high a point and it sort of plops in the wrong place and deflates a bit, it’s moving too fast. I need to be much closer to the pot but not looking forward to the burn ill get from touching the sides of the pot. I assume I can’t wear the gloves when I do this because the dough will stick to the gloves?

I assume this will just be a technique I have to perfect? A video would be helpful.

Hi Ken,

If I put enough water in my starter, I can get it to look like frothed milk, but my experiments tend toward dryer starter not wetter :smirk:

The best tactic I’ve seen for not having the parchment paper dent your dough/bread is to crumple it in your hands and then stretch it out before using it.

When I’m not using parchment paper, I flour my hand and tip the dough out onto it – then with two hands, I carefully place it in the scorching hot baking vessel. This works best with small hands and small bread of course.

In Eric’s original no knead sourdough video you can see his technique and the gloves that he uses, around minute mark 7:35 – though the entire video and written blog post are helpful and interesting.

I often use a naked razor blade for scoring, but I don’t recommend it as it can be dangerous. I have a lot of calluses on my fingers from sports but not everyone does.