Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin Bread

I see a bunny lol and the bread looks great from all angles.
What an anniversary tomorrow :grimacing: I hope youā€™re free to be out and about soon.

1 Like

@Fermentada Yay, Melissa! You see the bunny too! :rabbit:

Agreed, not the greatest anniversary. :frowning_face:

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

My hubby sure loves his cinnamon bread! Hereā€™s this morningā€™s bake. Not only did we indeed achieve lift-off but with the ear on this loaf Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s listening to our conversations as we sip our morning coffee!

Every time I bake a loaf I canā€™t help but think of how incredibly satisfying it is to be able to make our own bread. Iā€™m so thankful!

Blessings,
Leah

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an impressive loaf, Leah. I think your husband and I share the same tastes. I put cinnamon and raisons in my morning oatmeal, love cinnamon raison bread, and of course Iā€™ll happily eat a cinnamon roll with raisons when given the opportunity.
Richard

1 Like

Thatā€™s a beauty Leah, Iā€™d happily have a slice of that anytime. When should I be over :joy:
Benny

1 Like

@evnpar Yes, Richard! Cinnamon and raisins in my oatmeal (long-cooking steel cut oats are my favorite). Add a few walnuts or pecans and Iā€™m in breakfast heaven! I also love fresh blueberries and some sliced strawberries with some of those walnuts or pecans in my oatmeal too. Have you tried bananas, walnuts and cinnamon in yours? Itā€™s like eating warm banana walnut bread! Hmmm, maybe now Iā€™ll have to make some oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow!

@Benito Awww Benny, amazing how bread has the ability to bring people together! :smiley: :bread: Hereā€™s to your baguettes! :baguette_bread:

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

We are about a 20" drive from Bobā€™s Red Mill, where you can buy their products in bulk. So yes, I have steel cut oatmeal every morning, and add a handful of blueberries when in season, nuts, and occasionally a banana. I like my bread the same way, whole grain with the same goodies.
Richard

2 Likes

@evnpar Richard, WOW! Youā€™re close to Bobā€™s Red Mill! Outstanding!

Blessings,
Leah

We havenā€™t been for about a year because of COVID, but they have a terrific restaurant serving a wonderful breakfast and lunch made from their products. Bob turned the ownership over to his employees a number of years ago and everyone seems to enjoy working there and are proud of their company and products. Itā€™s one of my happy places to visit and I canā€™t wait until we can go again.
Richard

1 Like

@evnpar Richard, I love Bobā€™s Red Mill products and Iā€™m able to order them online and have them shipped to my house. I remember reading lots of articles about Bob and yes, I saw that he had turned his company into a totally employee-owned company. I love that and apparently so do those employees!

Blessings,
Leah

This is so off topic!!! ā€¦ but you and Richard started it. :slight_smile: So ā€¦

Cooked oats refrigerate, and reheat, extremely well. I cook enough oats for 3 or 4 days of breakfasts, refrigerating the excess until consumed. That is about as long as I can go before I need a change in my oats flavoring.

Dry Ingredients

1 cup oat groats (aka steel cut oats ā€¦ works with rolled oats but reduce cook time to 5-7 mins.)
Ā½ tsp salt (optional, I usually donā€™t add it)
Ā½ tsp cinnamon
Ā¼ to Ā½ tsp nutmeg
1 handful of nuts and 1 handful of complimenting dried fruit **

Wet Ingredients

4 cups water
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
(optional) 1 large or 2 small ripe bananas, smashed to smithereens with a fork, though banana lumps are good in the oats.

Mix all ingredients in a 3qt (or larger) sauce pan, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45-mins (or 5 to 7-mins if making with rolled oats).

**Examples of nuts with complimenting dried fruit:

1 handful of slivered almond and 1 handful of dried blueberries
OR
1 handful of chopped pecans and 1 handful of dried cranberries
OR
1 handful of chopped walnuts and 1 handful of raisins
OR
1 handful of roasted, unsalted pistachios (chopped) and 1 handful of dried apricots (chopped)

Note: I have also made this with hulled barley instead oat groats. It is a good, too.

1 Like

That sounds delicious!
Richard

Another oat-topic (har har) reply for this thread:
Iā€™m a fan of using frozen blueberries year-round. I microwave a small bowl of them for about a minute, and then put them on my granola-yogurt or oatmeal. The color does leak way more than fresh blueberries, so I get what my family calls ā€œzombie mouthā€ and have to brush my teeth after the meal, but anthocyanins yay: )

2 Likes

Blueberries freeze extremely well. Fortunately, there is a small organic blueberry farm about 1/2 mi. from our house where Iā€™ve picked for nearly 30 years. I spend a day there and pick nearly 10 gallons of blueberries, then freeze them without washing them. Using a handful every morning in my oatmeal, and using them for baking, our supply lasts six months or so. I drive past the blueberry patch twice a day, and since Iā€™ve been out of them for a couple of months, Iā€™ve been looking fondly at the bushes and wishing they were closer to being ready to pick. Blueberries and strawberries are very high in antioxidants, and Iā€™m in heaven in June when I can enjoy freshly picked Oregon strawberries and blueberries on top of a sourdough biscuit and with a little homemade ice cream.
Richard

3 Likes

That sounds delicious (berries on a sourdough biscuit with homemade ice cream) ! Sorry for the way late reply :slight_smile:

I returned to this thread to post my Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin Bread. A variation on Ericā€™s recipe without the maple syrup and using spelt as the whole grain flour.

60% bread flour
40% whole grain spelt flour
80% water
15% starter
2% salt

I added the raisins and cinnamon by-eye during a super stretched out pre-shape ā€“ basically a lamination.

Swirled cinnamon and raisin crumb:

One big dough divided after the bulk fermentation, and turned into plain and cinnamon raisin breads (definitely lost some oven spring with the additions):

2 Likes

Was just about to ask how to go about swapping the maple syrup for honey and reducing the amount. Quite like a bit of honey but the original recipe sounds too much. Think Iā€™ll follow your recipe @Fermentada but add some honey and reduce the water to make up for the additional honey. It already has raisins which will add sweetness. Lovely bake!

Just so I have the full recipe in one place what was the percentage of raisins and cinnamon?

I was pleased with zero sweetener (says the person making churros right now lol)

Maybe go with Ericā€™s cinnamon and raisin amounts, because I sprinkled from the cinnamon tub and handfulled from the raisin bag :upside_down_face:

He used 1 Tbsp, which according to Google is close to 8 grams, ground cinnamon and 175g raisins for 500g flour.
(Edited to fix the cinnamon grams from 9 to 8)
1.6% cinnamon
35% raisins

Well you can make churros now because youā€™ve saved on the sweetener :joy:

Thanks for that. Got something in the planning stage. Iā€™m leaning towards a raisin yeast water version. Think it might suit this bread very well.

Definitely raisin yeast water would add to the depth of flavor.

This loaf is delicious, and was a first try using home milled flour with my new Mockmill. Next time Iā€™ll cut down on the water, as the dough was so wet I couldnā€™t really score it, and reduce the maple syrup as it was a little too sweet. It wasnā€™t tangy, but I think the sweetness of the maple syrup and raisins overpowered it. This recipe is a keeper! Thanks, Melissa!