Sourdough Baking with Spent Brewer's Grains

Using the search function I didn’t find much evidence that anybody here has tried or is using spent brewer’s grains in sourdough baking. We just began a batch of beer and I now have a significant quantity of grains to try something with.

For now I’m thinking of adding the grains to the dough, rather than drying them and milling them (and anyway I’d only have a blender to use for that). I thought I might try adapting from the steel-cut oats variation of the basic sourdough loaf on-site here. Anybody have any thoughts, warnings, experience to share (good or bad?).

Paging @Brewcat.

1 Like

Thanks for steering me to that recipe, Abe! I’ll review it and try something out.

Enjoy. The Perfect Loaf has lovely recipes many of which I’ve tried myself. I’m sure you’ll love the recipe. Be sure to post your bake here and let everyone know what you think.

Well I’ve made plenty of beer that I’ve Incorporated some brew waste. Unfortunately spent grains have never produced anything that Ive enjoyed. I’ve tried them in bread and pretzels. The problem is the husks are tough probably aren’t even digestible. Smell good though. Now that said I’ve had very good luck with using left over sweet wort in place of water. Also I save the malt flower after I crush and add that into the flowe. Also when making bagels instead of water to boil them I’ll use wort or mix some DME in the water. Killer. But spent grain I compost. Also I’ve scooped off some krausen and added that to ferment.

Hi all, so I did try to bake a sourdough loaf using spent beer (brewer’s) grains. I basically followed the approach outlined in the Perfect Loaf recipe that Abe linked, but made some adjustments due to ingredients on hand and quirks about how things worked out.

So I started with my San Francisco sourdough starter, which is APF-based, I created a pretty thick mixture with about 25-30 grams (I didn’t really measure) of starter from the fridge, and then 1/2 cup of APF and 1/4 cup of water. Left that from late morning to the next morning, by when it had more than doubled and was nice and spongy.

I cut amounts in the Perfect Loaf recipe by half because there are only two of us eating here and one doesn’t eat much bread, so I generally don’t do recipes that create two loaves. My spent grains were 8 oz Caramel 80L, 8 oz Victory, and 4 oz Carapils used to brew a batch of Imperial Pale Ale. They were wet so I reduced the water by more than 50% as recommended in the recipe. Here’s what I used:

50 g King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour

25 g King Arthur Pumpernickel Whole Rye Flour

425 g Bread Flour (I get it from a commercial bakery that started selling retail to the home baking community during the first phase of the shutdown so I’m not sure exactly what the source or protein percentage is)

350 g water (room temperature, probably about 76-80 F)

10 g salt

100 g starter/levain (did not measure exactly but took more than half from a container that had 188 g in it)

125 g spent beer grains (mine were wet, not quite like soggy porridge but definitely wet)

I combined all the flours with the water and mixed until it was a shaggy dough without dry bits of flour. Left it to autolyse. Autolyse lasted a bit more than two hours for external (honey-do) reasons.

After the autolyse, I added the levain and worked it in by pinching and pulling and folding until it was well mixed. Rested 15 minutes, then added the salt and again pinched it into the dough until it was all well mixed. Then let it rest another 10 minutes.

Then the mixing, by hand, in the bowl, ten minutes of pulling, stretching, and folding.

For the bulk fermentation, I let it rest for half an hour, then did the first of a series of four stretch and folds. Second stretch and fold after a half hour, and in that one I folded in the spent beer grains, so it looked like this:

The third stretch and fold followed after an hour, and then the fourth after another half hour. By that point the dough had pretty much doubled in size:

Emptied it onto the work surface and pre-shaped it, leaving it for about 20 minutes to rest. It was a fairly “wet” dough but very resilient and forgiving. After 20 minutes I shaped it into a boule and left it in a round, linen lined banneton on the counter for about an hour and a half, and then overnight in the fridge.

This morning it looked like this:

Baked it in a Le Creuset dutch oven (size F) with the lid on, in what I hope was a 500 F (possibly 450 F) oven for 25 minutes, then lid off for 25, extended to 30 minutes with the temperature down to what I hope was 375-400 F. I say that I hope that was the temperature because the oven control is horribly unreliable as far as temperature goes and I have calibrated it approximately using an internal oven thermometer, but I’m never 100% sure.

The old Le Creuset dutch ovens have high sides (not like the Lodge cast iron ones with the low bottom and high top) so the crust did not get as chocolate-brown as the Perfect Loaf example, but it toasted up nicely:

Overall I was pleased with the outcome: the crust is crackly and chewy, the crumb is open and soft with a pleasant whole-grain and toasted bran flavor cross-cut with slight sour notes. I’d do this again (which is good because I have like 8 125 g packets of spent grains in the freezer!).

Sorry, I have run on at the keyboard a bit here. But thanks for the encouragement to try this!

Glad to hear you had good results. So you didn’t have a problem with a gritty mouth feel? Iv thought about drying them then re crush and sifting but to much work. I do pretty much what you’ve explained above using the flour from cleaning my mill after a crush. Of course that’s premashed so the sugar hasn’t been rinsed out. Gives a monster spring

I think I can see what you mean about the mouth feel, but I didn’t find it so much different from the “cracked wheat” sandwich bread of my youth. Perhaps there’s a difference in the grains? I’m not a “from scratch” homebrewer, and these grains were from a kit that included both liquid and dry malt extracts, so they were steeped in the wort water, and then taken out and drained before the boiling. Maybe that affects how they would feel to the mouth in the bread. It is definitely a “high fiber” loaf!

Nothing wrong with fiber. Another thing you can do is after your done steeping the grains for your beer steep them some more and use that sweet wort in place of tap water. If you can time it with brewing after the beer builds up some krausen scoop off a cup and use that in your bread fermenation. Now that will be one tasty bead :yum:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions!!

@HLAgnew To avoid the gritty fibery feel of some of the beer grains, make a beer /water smoothie with your grains. I started doing that and it works great. I mix the amount of liquid that goes into my sourdough bread with about 100g spent grain (that I freeze in baggies after each brew) in the blender and then mix the smoothie with the flours I use; usually an additional 75 home milled rye/wheat/barley and the rest bread flour. I dust my loaves with milled beer grain (not spent; usually I buy a lbs of Vienna Crystal just for that purpose) and get an awesome crust out of that. :wink:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CM5QcFBJzJ6/

1 Like

I love this smoothie idea💡You might have gotten me on the spent grains bandwagon with this. The crust does look and sound delicious.

1 Like