Sourdogh Bread Storage

(acranberryfiend) #21

Been baking bread for decades, since 7th grade, and discovered the best way to store bread is unwrapped, cut-side down on a small plastic cutting board in the oven. And if I’ve made more than one loaf, the other one just lies beside it on the rack. It’s a little annoying to have to remember the bread when I turn the oven on (!), but it rarely molds, even after a week+, and still toasts up like fresh. No plastic bags, no bulk taking up counter space. If we don’t happen to snarf a loaf quickly, I sometimes freeze half loaves, and put them–unwrapped–back in the oven/bread box to thaw.

(dorislns) #22

After the bread comes out of the oven I let it cool for several hours. Then I slice it on a machine and place pieces of plastic between each slice and reassemble the loaf. As long as the plastic ( I use saranwrapp) is about a third of the slice, or even one quarter it will prevent the slices from freezing together. So I can take just one slice out , either toast it or microwave it for between 10 and 20 seconds, depending on the size of the slice. Most loafs are so big that I freeze them in halfs. I wrap them in ordinary breadbags making sure all the air is out of the bag and then place in a very heavy duty plastic bag. I bake enough bread at the time that it lasts several months in the freezer. Even after a few months the bread still tastes like freshly baked.

(whippet) #23

Need to try sitting the loaf on the plastic cut side down yet. I kind of like cutting the slice each time so I can adjust the thickness for what I’m doing but this may be useful.
Tried this and it worked for about 10 days. After the loaf was thoroughly cooled, Cut it in half. Wrapped both in saran wrap. Froze one and kept on out for use. The one kept out lasted over a week before it was gone with no mold or moldy taste. So far this works. May change in high summer though. Will have to get some gees wrap and try it. Plain wax paper did not work. Bread got dry since the wrap didn’t seal well enough. Too much air circulation apparently.

(jamesbrown) #24

I prefer the sliced bread but if not I may slice with bread slicer and store them into the fridge with plastic bag.

(Upstatebaker) #25

I usually store mine cut side down on the counter. Easily stays for about a week. I live in the Northeast, so your weather may not make this a viable option.

(Who_Knew) #26

Regarding slicing-then-freezing techniques, I use a variation to freeze bacon. When bacon is on sale (or when I’m out), I buy a few pounds at a time. I arrange the slices on wax paper on a baking sheet and freeze overnight. Then I collect the individually frozen slices into a ziplock bag. I find individually frozen bacon slices pretty handy.

Perhaps something similar could be done with bread slices?

(whippet) #27

Thanks, Never thought if doing that with bacon. I could do it with bread too.

(mustangmike) #28

I store my bread in the fridge, in the crisper, for a couple weeks at a time in a plastic bag and it works for us. I don’t know but maybe mine keeps well because I add a bread conditioner to all my breads. The extra loves I wrap in foil first and put them in a heavy plastic bag in the freezer for longer periods of time. If I want to refresh my frozen bread and/or buns quickly, I put the bread, still wrapped in foil, in a 350° oven for a few minutes and until warm and fresh again.