Slight Pizza sauce mod

I am just now diving in to cooking. Picked up some spiffy SS pots ditto Japanese knives. That leaves ingredients and the right ones for the right dish. (Plus other stuff)

A week ago I tried to make sauce from scratch. I peeled the tomatoes, added my fresh basil leaves salt and a little white pepper. Then I began cooking and cooking and cooking to get the sauce reduced. It made it to gazpacho. It was good gazpacho.

Yesterday, I started the Khorasan flour pizza dough (using Kamut) and Today the sauce. While making the sauce I didn’t read the directions about the salt carefully. And no, I didn’t read all the directions prior to starting :open_mouth: Bad Luke. Bad. Well I added too much salt. I read about adding sugar on rare occasions. Truth be told I added a TSP of light brown sugar up front…Because I had “Sticky Fingers” on the turntable at the time.

Back to too salty. After a 3 second contemplation break, I reached for “Lily’s” unsweetened dark chocolate chips ~1.5 oz. It just sounded like the right thing to try. Well it worked out nicely… (except for the sm. can of hot tomato sauce) Good flavor but a little too hot. Next time I make pizza sauce I’ll add the chocolate chips again.

There was some drama making the dough too. After the 16 hr rise it somehow decided to form a giant sink hole? Not a prob. I was fearful the crust would be too tough as I was cutting the pizza. It was firm but exceptional tasty. Like a rustic bread. Very different, but I liked it a lot.

I ended up making 1 pizza and combined the remaining three dough balls into one a baked it covered for 20 min in a La Cloche. And uncovered for another 10-12 min until the inside was 202 deg. with no crumbs on the probe. It’s cooling as I type.

:rofl:

I googled my way to that Rolling Stones reference :slight_smile:
Sounds like you’re having fun cooking adventures. The pizza dough bread looks great.

I think peeled potato pieces can soak up salt too if you end up in that situation again. Simmer for a while, then toss or eat the salty potato.

Chocolate is a neat idea too – like mole sauce. Sadly I can’t digest the sugar alcohols (erythritol, sorbiltol, xylitol) that are in Lily’s brand and all sugar free gum etc. My mom was the same so it must be some genetic thing.

… the cat in the photo :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Riley is my Sous-Chef, He likes The Stones, Joni Mitchell, and Noel Gallagher. Strike Sous….he pretty much runs the show.

1 Like