Seeded Sourdough Bread

Yes, only using chia seeds would be better for achieving the ratio. Another option is chia and flax seeds.

chia seeds
omega 3s 4915 mg
omega 6s 1620 mg

and

flaxseeds
omega 3s 6388 mg
omega 6s 1655 mg

omega 3s 11,303 : omega 6s 3275

ratio 3.45 : 1

That’s very interesting. I see that hemp doesn’t have a good ratio, so maybe that “superfood” label fails again.

This discussion inspired me to look at the omega balance in whole grain flour and all-purpose flour, which is enlightening. Whole grain has the bran and the germ, both of which have unfavorable ratios. Whole grain flour has 1093 mg of omega 6 per cup, while all-purpose is only 391 mg per cup. Whole grain has 73 mg of omega-3 per cup, while AP is 22 mg.

So an AP bread recipe fortified with chia and flax gives you more omega 3 than a whole grain loaf without the seeds and a much more favorable ratio of omega 3 to omega 6. And it tastes better and has better crumb.

So the idea that we all need to eat minimally-processed foods as nature provides them isn’t really such a great idea after all. My next loaf is gonna have chia, flax, and AP flour.

Thanks, Melissa.

1 Like

Youre welcome!

I do think whole grains have a lot to offer in other aspects of nutrition. The Omega 3:6 ratio is important but so are various minerals and fiber. Someone once said, “Nutrition is a symphony,” which I take to mean, “a variety of nutritious foods will likely make for good outcomes.” I originally wrote “nutrient dense,” but I edited it to be nutritious because, I don’t believe everything I eat has to be nutrient dense. For example, I probably eat a head of celery a week, which is mostly fiber, water and salt. But I think it is part of my symphony. :slight_smile:

Your bread plan of white flour, chia and flax seeds sounds amazing though. I’ve a gift bread to make tonight and maybe that’s what it will be.

Chia seed and Flaxseed Sourdough -

I did a long cold bulk fermentation (18 hrs) with everything in at once, followed by 6 hrs at room temp with a couple of stretch and folds to even out the temp of the warming up dough. Shaped and back in refrigerator to proof 2.5 hrs in fridge. Wish I could taste it but it’s a gift. Smells great!

Two questions regarding the delicious seeded sourdough recent recipe:

1. How long should the stretch and fold process be? Recipe doesn’t say.

2. Is there a way or technique to keep the shaped boule from flattening when placed in
    the hot baking pot? Thanks

Madeline Zargarian

Desertbaker,

Hi, I leave the stretch and fold timing flexible because the process is more “recommended guidelines” than “do this or else.” :slight_smile:

If you do 4 stretch and folds at 20 min intervals, you’ll be done with this stage in 1 hr (0, 20,40,60).

6 s&f at 30 min intervals will take 2.5 hours.

As I wrote above to another person with a similar question: Pay attention to the growing elasticity of the dough but don’t worry too much if you have to cover the dough and go somewhere at 3 s&f’s.

My advice for boule transfer is:
–don’t overproof (a less proofed high hydration dough might transfer floppy and flat but it will pop up in the oven)
–i like to flour my hands and flip the dough onto one hand, gently lay it in the hot pan (careful!). I sometimes use a butter knife to push the dough around after transfer. This is not typical but I like that I can peel the dough with fingers if needed if it’s a bit stuck to the basket.
–your basket and tea towel can be floured with a mix of half all purpose and half rice flour or bran flakes to decrease stickiness. Not sure if this is part of your issue.
–consider using parchment paper in your basket and transferring the dough with the paper to the baking vessel.
–decrease hydration in the recipe

Hope this helps!
This thread is useful to read too…

Wonderful bread - I used this ancient seed mix from Trader Joe’s: https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/2797. Worked great!

Also lowered the water in the seed mix to 50-75g…100g was too hydrated for me.

25% whole wheat also was good.

That looks great! The seed mix sounds good too.

Adjusting the hydration down is a good idea if your blend has fewer chia seeds – they’re the very thirsty ones in my experience. Or if you just feel like it :slight_smile:

Got it - it is the chia seeds…the TJ mix has amaranth seeds as well that seem to do really well. That is one popular bread around the house - really recommend it.

It is 10 pm and I just took a loaf out of the oven. It looks and smells delicious. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to try it.

I was confused by the final instructions for putting seeds on the exterior of the loaf. The dough was wet and I was not eager to try turning it. I put the dough in the banneton and sprayed the loaf and added some seeds on top just before placing it in the oven. Worked just fine.

Thanks for the recipe.

Your technique for getting seeds on the loaf sounds great. Everyone has their preferred amount of dough flipping and adjusting. Sometimes after shaping, I roll the top of the dough on seeds on the counter and then put the dough seed-side down into the basket (flip to bake). Other times, I cover my tea towel with seeds and put the dough onto the seeds and then lift the towel to place it in the basket. Spraying and seeding the top and not flipping the dough works too.

A fun thing is that when loose amaranth seeds hit a hot cast iron dutch oven, they pop like tiny popcorn.

1 Like

Do you soak any of your seeds? When I’ve used amaranth seeds in the past, on the top,of the bread) they were too hard to eat. Perhaps I had an old bag.

1 Like

Just recalled this question as I chewed, crunched and cracked my way through an ancient grains granola cereal with amaranth.

I agree that uncooked amaranth can be too hard, in a cereal or on the top of bread. Maybe someone else can chime in as to whether soaking fixes this.

1 Like

Love the moon and stars scoring! Definite style points to you. I meant to comment on the beautiful spiral score you did on a recent photo post, can’t remember which bread, but it was beautiful too.

Thank you! Scoring seems to offer infinite possibilities and I feel I’ve barely scratched the surface. ooh pun :slight_smile:

It’s sounds ridiculous but I even get nervous at the moment of scoring.

Just getting ready to make the Seeded Sourdough recipe and noticed that the ingredient list calls for 500g bread flour (4 cups) and according to my handy dandy conversion calculator, 500g would amount to 2.08 cups.

Am I confused or is my calculator miscalculating?

Not sure what kind of conversion you are using but bread flour is typically in the 30 g per 1/4 cup range or 120 g per cup, so 500 g is approx. 4 cups if you MUST measure by volume. Weight is the best measure.

1 Like

I’ve been using an App on my iPhone called “Baking Helper” and I’ve been measuring by weight using grams.

Thank you for your response. I’ll just follow the recipe as it is presented.

The seeded sourdough bread recipe does not mention when to use the sourdough. I read the entire instructions and do not find it anywhere. I can only assume it is part of the water and flour mixture?? Please let me know. Thanks!

Fourth paragraph in to the Instructions:

Knead and pinch the salt and leaven into the dough.

Sometimes people use the term leaven to refer to the particular build of the starter. I tend to use the terms interchangeably.

Fwiw, the recipe will work fine if you add the leaven/starter at the flour-water stage…then it’s called a “fermentolyse” :slight_smile: