Savory Sourdough Babka

This is nicely inspirational. I’ve been on a run of savory sourdough pancakes. This looks like a fun way to transition back into bread making.

1 Like

Thank you for this recipe and your great tutorial.glad to know what to do with left over starter. Hate to discard anything.

1 Like

Melissa, thanks for another inspiring recipe. Can’t wait to try it. I used savory fillings in Rugelach a while back and they were delicious. It’s fun to play around with savory and sweet fillings!

1 Like

REALLY interested in your techniques for naan using leftover starter… Maybe a blog or future video on this? I looked all over your website but did not find a previous recipe for that.

1 Like

Great instructions. Tried this today and it came together easily. I made the cilantro, cheese & butter filling. Definitely want to try a sweet version. Great use for extra starter (which I keep in the fridge). Would love to know more about your technique for making naan with this dough.

1 Like

@bonnieauslander @suemagyari @judyb
I’ve updated the recipe to include instructions for making naan from the dough (at the end of the babka instructions). Enjoy!

Thanks to all for your enthusiasm. I agree that having an easy sourdough discard recipe is great. My favorite part of this one is the “refrigerate it until you’re in the mood” aspect of it. I’m about to bake a naan dough that I mixed 5 days ago!

I’ve been making Melissa’s Naan recipe since she posted it on her own blog awhile ago (after a lot of Instagram photos!!) and love it. I typically make and freeze as she notes: between bits of parchment. They warm great in microwave or low oven and I also use them for quick little pizzas. I really love the babka variation - also as she notes, the filling seems distributed better in slices than just a roll up. And it is so much fun! Today I made a spinach-artichoke heart-Kalamata olive filling and used Monterey Jack plus Pecorino Romano. I would have added some sun dried tomatoes if I had them but this variation was very good. Photos below and as I noted in a discussion with Melissa … more cheese and I will roll the dough thinner next time. Still - YUM!

This is some seriously delicious looking bread! I should add that @anon66425146 coached me through how to store naan and tortillas in the freezer :slight_smile:

Excellent, easypeasy naahn. Thanks much!! I freshened the SD, mixed in the rest of the ingredients, let it rise 2 hours, then refrigerated over night. Came to room temperature over two hours the next morning, and then popped in to a pre-warmed microwave/proofing box for another two hours. Nice tang! Would have more had I extended the time in fridge another 24 hours.

Will make Babka with cinnamon and raisins next!

1 Like

I’m soaking some raisins…thanks for the inspiration :slight_smile:

My new favorite bread to make at our weekend rv. It cannot fail. Made the dough Thursday night, threw into the cooler friday, and took it out Saturday afternoon to bake. We have herbs growing in the yard so used fresh thai basil, garlic, chives and oregano. Lots of cheese. Its lucky I got a picture of it. It was gone almost the minutest came off the grill. Smells like this attract a lot of attention from nearby campers to be sure! Thank you for this fabulous recipe.

1 Like

That is so wonderful to hear, and what beautiful bread. I think it’s amazing you’re baking in a grill.

2 Likes

Melissa,
This might be a dumb question but the ingredients say to use 200g of sourdough starter (1 cup stirred down). What does the “1 cup stirred down” mean? Thanks!

1 Like

No worries, I can see how it could be confusing.

Ideally, you are using 200g of starter, regardless of how big it looks. If you don’t use a scale, though, measuring starter volume is tricky because when it is ripe, it’s filled with air: doubled or tripled in size, but the same weight. Stir it down and it shrinks. So “1 cup stirred down” would be bigger in volume if you didn’t stir it down.

2 Likes

This recipe is amazing! I am a challah baker for our synagogue and often bake sweet chocolate or cinnamon babka for special occasions and get togethers. This savory sourdough variation is a wonderful addition to my repertoire to bake for friends and family. So many great ideas on your website! I am very grateful for your knowledge and teaching.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the savory babka recipe and the website. It’s so cool that you’re the challah baker for an entire synagogue.

Hi … can I ask how to replace the sourdough by dry active yeast :see_no_evil:?? I really like your breads and want to try baking bread at home

Don’t let sourdough vs yeast stop you :slight_smile: Unless otherwise indicated, most starters are half flour and half water, by weight. Simply divide the starter grams in half and add those amounts to the flour and water weights.

This babka:

• 275g flour (2 cups)
  • 200g sourdough starter
  • 125g milk (1/2 cup)
  • 75g plain yogurt (1/4 cup)
  • 5g salt (1 tsp)

Becomes this babka:

• 375g flour (between 2 3/4 cups and 3 cups)
  • 100g water (0.4 cups…very scant 1/2 cup)
  • 125g milk (1/2 cup)
  • 75g plain yogurt (1/4 cup)
  • 5g salt (1 tsp)
  • yeast amount is up to you, see final note

If you don’t have a scale, deal with grams until the last second.
Then divide the flour grams by 130 to get the cups.

375/130=2.88 cups flour

And divide the water grams by 236 to get the cups.
100/236=0.42 cups water

I would use 1/4 tsp of yeast to get a long rise similar to sourdough and have complex flavors, unless I was in a rush, then I’d use 1-2 tsp yeast and expect the dough to double in 1-2 hours.

Really don’t know how to thank you :pray::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
It is very clear and well explained
I must give a try soooo excited
Thank you very much :heart::heart::heart:

You’re welcome. I hope you enjoy the recipe.