Salt Rising Bread

Last weekend, I tried a new type of naturally leavened bread: Salt Rising Bread. It’s known for having the texture of a delicate cake and the flavor and aroma of a funky cheese. It very much lived up to these descriptions. The starter and dough were super smelly and the final bread tasted faintly cheesy, mostly through the aroma. I might do it again, and if so, will add more salt to the dough.

Salt rising bread is leavened from a Clostridium perfringens bacteria starter and it produces hydrogen gas, as opposed to sourdough’s saccharomyces yeast/lactobacillus combo and carbon dioxide gas. The starter can be a milk-cornmeal concoction or a sliced potato and wheat flour mix. I did the latter.

This bread is from the Appalachian region of the U.S. and I read that the earliest written recipe for it dates back to 1750.

Salt has nothing to do with the rising of salt rising bread, and theories around the name for the bread have to do with burying the starter in salt to keep it warm and/or the historic precursor to baking soda, called Saleratus. I learned that from this interesting blog post:

I had heard of this bread, but got intrigued and tempted to make it when Abe, a Breadtopia fan from the UK, sent me a fascinating article about it and a how-to video of Mary’s Nest. I learned that some strains of this bacteria, Clostridium perfringens, cause gangrene and most foodborne illnesses in the U.S. yikes!

Also last week, the NYTimes cooking section profiled this bread with the cornmeal starter. Salt-Rising Bread: A Delicious and Nearly Lost Tradition

Thanks to last December’s panettone making, I have a temperature controlled box, which miraculously can hold a steady 105-110F, the high temperature this starter and bread need.

It seemed high time I give this bread a go.

Here’s the YouTube video of Mary’s Nest; you can also find the written recipe on her website.

In the video, she quotes Peter Reinhart saying,

“I must admit that I have fallen under the spell of salt rising bread. Like an expensive white truffle, the earthly aroma and flavor are intoxicating.”

Yep.

Here are my photos from the experience. There is a starter, a sponge, then the dough. I was slicing potato at 7pm and measuring the internal temp of the finished bread at noon the next day.
211F internal temperature, by the way, and Clostridium dies at 185F :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This bread at the same time sound amazing and scary. Clostridium perfringens is a scary bacteria that I would never have guessed to be useful to us humans before reading your post about its use in this bread. I’m not sure if I’m up to using it but I’m quite intrigued by it. The description of the resulting bread being like an expensive white truffle make it very enticing Melissa. Very nice write up as always.

3 Likes

@Fermentada Melissa, I tend to agree with @Benito Benny on this one! Extremely fascinating and intriguing, but not something I’d be willing to try!

Blessings,
Leah

@Benito @Leah1 Thanks. It is such a neat science project of a bread, but the stink of the process can’t be understated.

Leah, I thought of you when making this bread because you’re a low sodium bread baker, and the recipe I followed has 1/4 tsp of salt for two pan loaves. I can’t remember if you also avoid dairy? Like nutritional yeast, which is used as a vegan cheese substitute, this bread is like a non-dairy “cheese” :upside_down_face: Well, non-dairy if you use the potato starter, not the milk-cornmeal one.

1 Like

@Fermentada Yes, Melissa, I bake and cook non-dairy as well as low-sodium due to my husband’s dietary restrictions. I laughed because there are some alternative foods I’ve never used in my life; nutritional yeast being one of them. My beloved Cyril is just a plain organic white AP flour/pure spring water starter. He’s as non-alternative as it gets!

I think I’ll just read about your stranger bread experiments and stick to my tried-and-true breads :laughing:

And now for a nice hot cuppa and perhaps a couple dairy-free chocolate chip cookie bars before they all disappear!

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

Love the stink since it’s the prelude to the taste…Care to share your recipe?

@WVSRB Which recipe would you like? The dairy-free chocolate chip cookie bars?

Leah