SAF Yeast packaging instructions

Hello everyone,

i’m fairly new to bread baking, and I just received my first package of SAF yeast today. I noticed on the package that there’s a list of equivalencies, including the mention of adding water. However, in reading the descriptions of the yeast on its catalog page it sounds like I don’t need to do anything special - just measure it out and mix it with the dry ingredients. Help? : )

Also, although the online catalog says you can add it to the dry ingredients, is it recommended to proof it first with water and a little sugar?

Dave

The silence is overwhelming. Thanks Breadtopia. Now that I’ve got my implements I can buy my supplies somewhere else.

You’re right, you don’t need to do anything special. The SAF yeast is very flexible. It will perform equally well when mixed the dry ingredients first or the wet. I always mix with the dry ingredients but it doesn’t matter as long as it’s uniformly distributed in the dough.

So I use the same amount of dry SAF yeast not mixed w water that is specified for dry yeast in a recipe? That is, if the recipe calls for 1/4 teaspoon of dry yeast, I use 1/4 teaspoon of SAF. Many thanks.

I don’t think that is what @Eric 's reply meant but I sub 1-1 even though if you google:

Active Dry yeast vs Instant yeast amount, you will find things like 1.25-1.

See your other question with my Yeast = ingredient response :slight_smile: