Recipe for Chocolate Bread?

Today, on David Lebovitz’s blog, there was a review of a new bakery that had opened up on his street in Paris. There was a mention and photograph of a really interesting Chocolate Bread. I was wondering if anyone knows this bread and has a recipe.

This looks like Pane al Cioccolato (Italian Chocolate Bread)!

We have a baker here in Maine who is Italian and make it. It’s absolutely fantastic. I don’t have his recipe, but I found one that is a good substitute. I guess we can’t add links here, but I can give you directions.

First, the recipe calls for a sourdough biga. I opted for a yeast biga instead. You can find the yeast biga recipe recipe by googling the following terms with the quotation marks: “toxobread” “Pane al Cioccolato (Italian Chocolate Bread)”.

That page includes a link to pane al cioccolato. The link is broken, but you can grab it and drop it into the wayback machine at archive[dot]org.

1 Like

Also! Go back to David Lebovit’s blog. At the end of the blog entry (before the comments) there is a group of links. One is for his version of the chocolate bread.

1 Like