Recent problem after 4 years, is it too much starter?

I made my first no-knead loaf from watching Eric’s video about 4 years ago and everything has been fabulous, easy and successful. So much so that I started running workshops and have taught hundreds of people this technique. HOWEVER, I suddenly am having problems. The rye starter looks fluffy and beautiful, the resulting dough seems fine after the first rise but on removing it from the bowl it is sticky. After the second rise it goes into the oven and comes out with little or no oven lift. The texture however is open and good, but so very flat!

I have tried using less water, I have tried keeping the dough cooler, I feel like I have tried everything! Re-reading this blog I am going to next try using less starter. Over the years I may have started using more and more starter. Can you tell me the effects of using more starter and less starter in a loaf?

I would very much appreciate your help :smile:

From Kate, Tasmania (Australia)

Hi Kate,

It can certainly be challenging trying to isolate the many variables that can cause fits. You didn’t mention shortening the rising times. Maybe the dough is just over proofing a bit during the first or second rises. Or both.

I’m sure I don’t know all the effects of using more or less starter but besides lengthening the proofing time, using less starter will (should, anyway) impart more sour into the bread. And vise versa.

Would love to hear from others on your questions.

Thanks Eric. I am going to first of all try reducing the starter and keeping to the same proofing times, after your comment. I reckon I am using too much starter for the the proofing time…at least I hope so!! I did used to use less starter and that seems to be the only change I have made.

Kate, 2 things I have learned from experience & others: too much leavening can produce a lift & then, ‘flatening’, rather, not a full rise. You say you have enjoyed success in the past, indicating (that) more is not always better. Salt inhibits rise & purified water compliments the rise.
You have said your dough gets wet, meaning an imbalance of flour/water/starter.
temperature should be lower that higher during rise, but the temp. should be hot when baking.
Happy baking, Noel

I may have found an answer! Two local, small, sourdough bakeries here have had a very difficult time this winter too. It has been the coldest winter for 50 years. I think that, despite my home and the premises of the other bakers being warm, the organisms we rely on were just not there. Things have improved now it is spring and the outside temperatures are much higher.

I know people bake sourdough bread in much colder climates than mine but I think the microbes specific to this area were reduced this winter, to such an extent that these problems arose. None of the things I tried re time / temp. or changing the amounts of starter etc helped! Thanks so much for the helpful advice, though. I felt I had somehow lost my craft and it was good to connect with you.

1 Like

I am 3 three years behind for this topic. However, I have been having this problem of no oven rise after getting great results. The typical run down, is it the flour? Is it the temperature? Is it me? Is it the starter? Is it about the dough being over proofed. I had never heard of the lack of microbes being the problem. Glad I did a search for no oven rise here.