Problem Activating Dry Sourdough Starter

I apologize in advance if this problem is covered elsewhere on this site. I looked and couldnt find it.
I closely followed the video instructions for activating dry sourdough starter: 1/2 tblspn dry starter mixed with 1 tablspn warm spring water. After several minutes, add 1 tblspn of AP white flour. What happened then is that the starter mixture to that point thickened up so much that I couldnt stir it. So I added enough water until it resembled the video. Why did it thicken up and is ok to proceed now that it looks like the video? Any advice would be appreciated. Best, Dan in NYC

See above topic for similar question. Now you have fed it sit back with your feet up. Nothing to do now till it wakes up. Do not over feed thinking It’ll speed things up. Once activated then begin a feeding regime. Till then keep warm and give it a stir once a day.

Hi Abe. Thanks for your advice. I also re-watched the Breadtopia video which warns against too liquidy a mixture.
On the 6th day out, I added more flour to my starter which had shown some very scant bubbling. It became very shaggy with the added flour. Pictures attached.
Now, about 16 hrs later, it has increased about 20% and developed a form of skin. What now? Is it ok to keep adding flour and a little less water in weight? Is it ok being out of the fridge for 7 days

6 days later? This is why one doesn’t need to buy dried starter. Just as quick to make your own and after all this time have you activated a starter or indeed made your own?

That looks quite thick and 16 hours later with a modest rise doesn’t sound ideal. It also looks lower than a 100% hydration starter and its dried out to form skin.

Have you got a small clean glass jar with a screw top lid?

Sure, I have many clean jars with screw top lids. Please let me know your advice. I’m ready to try anything.

Is it a problem to have left this starter out of the fridge for so long?

Many thanks and much appreciated.

Dan

Hi Abe.

Good news.

Both my starters doubled and when I took the skin off, the starter looked bubbly.

So that’s a good sign. I have attached pictures.

I have read that I should reduce the starter to 1/2 cup and add a 1/2 cup of flour and and equal weight of water. Is that ok?

When is the starter ready to be used baking bread. What do you recommend as a first loaf?

Many thanks,

Yes, I was going to suggest something similar but to be done in a small jar. Keep it more manageable and not building too much. Something like…

30g of starter taken from the healthy looking bubbly part underneath then feeding it
30g water
30f flour

Stir that up and put then lid on loosely. If this bubbles up within 6-8 hours and at least doubles then I think its good to try a loaf.

Keeping a starter out of the fridge for days is fine as long as its fed or if its at the early stages and its slow to activate. Once your starter is strong you can refrigerate it after its been fed and its doubled or it’ll need to be fed daily.

When it comes to baking just take a little of the starter to build a levain (an off shoot starter that goes into the final dough) and keep your mother starter in the fridge. When your starter ruins low, take it out, feed it, allow it to double then return it to the fridge and so on.