Pellet Grill Bread Baking

I’ve been baking sourdough bread for many years in my Rec Tec pellet grill:

The results are great. Mine is the older model, the new one is stainless steel. The Emile Henry Bread Cloche just fits in the 7" tall opening.

Last nite I made sourdough pizza for the first time on a pizza stone. The grill/stone reached almost 600F on the “full” setting. I was so excited when I opened the grill and saw a perfect pizza, it was devoured before I thought to take pictures! This is about as close to a wood fired pizza as you can get.

Best regards and happy baking
Gary Kane

2020-05-05T07:00:00Z

3 Likes

That is a gorgeous bread bake!

Thanks for the link to the grill and the temp info for pizza. I am seriously tempted!

If you go for it make sure your baking vessel will fit. We also do plank fish (we don’t eat red meat), lobster tails, etc. I get the Traeger Wood pellets from Home Depot.
Stay safe and best regards,
Gary

1 Like

I’m amazed at how great your bread looks bake on that grill, kudos to you.

Thanks for the info, Gary and back at you! I have lived in NW Montana since '94 but I am an I.T. consultant for a dept of UCLA and lived in El Segundo when I started with the U in '91.

My new REC TEC 590 comes tomorrow, can’t wait to start using. What temp are you cooking the bread and how long are you cooking for? Thanks for any info you can give.
Jeff

I use mine the same as I would use a regular oven since the pellet grills are more a convection oven than charcoal or propane grills. I use ceramic baking vessels so I do 480F to 500F depending on the recipe. The boule in the picture was made with sourdough starter, Red Hill Artisan Bread Flour at 73% hydration, baked @ 485F for 30 minutes covered, 15 minutes @ 400F uncovered. For pizza I run it at the “full” setting with a 14" pizza stone. As soon as Breadtopia gets the Mockmill 100’s back in stock I will switch to 100% milled flour. Enjoy your grill.
Best regards,
-Gary

To keep the edges from burning I place a heavy duty cookie sheet between the grill grate and the dutch oven. I cut it to size so it wouldn’t slide around on top of the grill when moving the 500 degree HOT dutch oven. Now no burnt edges on the front or back of the loaf.
Happy baking and best regards,
-Gary

I have a RecTec as well and also have baked bread and pizza in it. Turns out great. I upgraded mine with the ceramic igniter and the new control so it’s just like the new ones minus the stainless.

Crazy question: Are these wood pellet grills that you’re baking bread in similar to smokers that use the wood pellets? We have a vertical smoker. Would that be considered the same type of thing?

Thanks,
Leah

The Pit Boss vertical is a different type of smoker, but I’m sure if it gets hot enough you could use it.

This is the style I have

@IceHart Thanks! Ours isn’t a “smoker/grill”. It’s strictly a smoker. We already had an LP gas grill that worked great so when we wanted a smoker we opted for strictly a smoker as we didn’t want another grill. While our Pit Boss vertical smoker can technically reach temperatures of about 450F The smoker works great and we’ve been enjoying the delicious meals that come out of it every week. As for bread, I think I’ll just continue to bake bread in my kitchen oven and leave the smoker for the other endeavors.

Blessings,
Leah

I know what you mean, seems the oven is a better choice for me too. Here is my latest smoke, pastrami.

1 Like

@IceHart Yum! That looks awesome!

Leah

And I personally use traeger grill for grilling, baking, roasting, smoking, or barbecue. It is the thing I can’t imagine my life without right now. The traeger is a versatile grill that offers an excellent cooking performance. For instance, it performs well at slow cooking and smoking. You can use it to smoke meat at low temperatures or sear steaks at the highest temperature setting. This grill also performs well when it comes to baking or roasting certain foods. The grill has a controller that maintains constant temperature without fluctuations throughout the entire grilling process. For example, I use traeger pro 575. If you are interested, visit this page to read more about this model and grilling at all.

I’m amazed at how good this bread looks. This bread makes my mouth water, as well as the image of that juicy pastrami.

I love red meat in all its forms. And when it comes to cooking meat in the family, then, of course, that’s me. I like to look for new grilled recipes to experiment with. The last time I experimented with homemade beef jerky, a recipe taken from here bigwigjerky.com.au We used to buy the most often beef jerky, but unfortunately, it was either too sweet or too salty. I invested in a good dehydrator and made the recipe the way I wanted. Even the children liked it.

I’m still experimenting but all the food I’ve cooked is wonderful. I was always confused about the temperature of the meat. Now I bought Traeger Grills Traeger frilled thermometer. I especially love the griddle where I can prepare fish and veggies. The grill is easy to operate. It does a good job of maintaining the temperature and it shuts down and saves all unused pellets for next time. I’m very surprised at how long a bag of pellets last, much, much longer than a bag of charcoal. I’m planning to take the grill to our vacation rental and appreciate the compact size. With these gadgets now my cooking life is in peace:)