Paul my latest Ugly Bread Does it beat yours?

Well I tried again and failed. Used Paul’s Rustic Country loaf, my rye starter which worked well and as usual IN GREAT FASHION the dough would not release from the fabric in the proof basket. There was enough rice flour to bake a bread in it. Anyways the dough was flatter than a pancake when it finally made it to the Romertoph and I was going to throw it out but the oven was hot so…

Well it tasted good anyways… :blush:

That looks really good! Seriously the photos seem to show a nice loaf of bread.

The crumb was actually very good, the crust though very soft even though I followed Paul’s directions for time. No crunch at all, more like a chewy texture.

Just don’t have any luck getting the dough from the basket to the hot baking vessel.

Thanks for being nice to me… :innocent:

The MY first rule of sourdough bread baking is “there are no rules”. Or, as I wrote in my post on demystifying sourdough bread baking “Ignore the Word ‘Recipe’”.

In that country loaf recipe, I also wrote:

I’m presenting specifics here, but please read them as a beginning and not an end.

As I keep repeating over and over, what works is what works for you in your kitchen with your tools, your starter, your flour, your techniques, etc. If you have success following someone else’s recipe, that’s luck.

Anyone who wants to have consistent success baking sourdough bread needs to pay attention while baking enough loaves to develop an understanding / intuition of what’s happening when and how so that you know what kind of tweaks to make along the path (for each loaf). Everyone learns in their own way, at their own pace. My suggestion is to take a very simple recipe and do it over and over and never change more than one thing at a time until you “master” it and are consistently happy with the results.

3 Likes

If your having a loaf, that no matter how well you rice flour your basket is sticking and then spreads out after proofing, then your dough is over hydrated. I would cut back on the liquid.

2 Likes