Pan Gallego

They are lovely Melissa. The crust, shaping and crumb on these two loaves are even better than the first. Interesting about kamut being a good approximation. And also interesting is that kamut is a kind of durum wheat with Altamura style breads also having this peculiar method of no final proof. An odd shaping and into the oven. Do you think that durum flour can also be a good substitute? Your bakes are stirring me on for my next bake with a lot of food for thought. Keep the good ideas coming :+1:

1 Like

The bread of Altamura is still on my to-bake list!

I’m not sure about durum – or kamut for that matter because one interesting possibility that came up in my reading was that harina gallega is a flour blend.
Here is a translation of this ingredient list for harina gallega:
Wheat flour, rye flour, toasted wheat flour, wheat gluten and enzymatic complex (diastatic malt?)

The screenshot is from this website

There’s a place in the UK that sells it. I’m sure there’s more than one but this shop i’ve found isn’t close enough for me to go try some. It does however explain the flour as a mix of bread, ciabatta and whole rye and is leavened using sourdough starter.

http://www.rexbakery.com/product/pan-gallego/

Great Taste Award winner – I believe it!

So I’ve hit on the very wet, and the last bake was 2 days if you include the starter build and overnight retard.

But now what is ciabatta flour?? 🤦🤓

I’ll google it later…

I think it’s bread flour + strong bread flour (ciabatta) and a little rye. Think i’ll stick a good percentage protein 12.6 - 13% bread flour and a little wholegrain rye for my next bake. Making a lower hydration starter preferment will build strength for the dough. I’ll also go for 20%(?) starter, build up the gluten and bulk ferment till a significant increase. Then refrigerate for atleast 12 hours before carrying on.

I thought bread flour = strong flour = strong bread flour

You are right. What I meant was bread flour (aka strong bread flour) and extra strong.

I’m assuming ciabatta is extra strong and it’s mixed with bread flour with a little whole rye.

I’d say bread flour is 12-13% protein and extra strong is 14-15%. I’m only going by their listed ingredients and in order they’re given which is usually by percentage in descending order.

Gotcha. Looks like Canada has an extra strong product. I use Breadtopia’s organic bread flour at 13.5% so right in the middle of the two ranges :slight_smile: