Overnight White Bread

This is my first attempt at a round loaf. Based on Ken Forkish’s recipe.

Ken’s recipes usually create two loaves. Since this was a first test for me, I decided to cut the ingredient amounts in half to make a single loaf.

Tools bought from Breadtopia that I used: the Cambro 6qt tub, cane banneton proofing basket, lame.
Ingredients used: Arrowhead Mills Organic All Purpose Flour, Kosher salt, SAF instant yeast.

After the bulk fermentation, the dough was too sticky to properly shape. I had to add extra flour to my hands as I handled the dough. After a few minutes I did manage to get the dough in a round enough shape that held together. Placed the dough in the proofing basket seam side down.

Following the instructions in Ken’s book, after the second rise, I simply transferred the dough from the basket to the floured countertop, then cupped the dough with my hands and carefully placed it inside the pre-heated Dutch oven. I didn’t drop the dough in to the Dutch oven directly from the banneton. (I used a 5qt Staub with a 10” base diameter and 5” sides.)

Although Ken does not advocate scoring the top of the dough, I did use a lame to cut across the top.

I need to practice my folding skills and working with wet dough, but for a first effort, I am pleasantly satisfied at the results.

Thanks to Breadtopia for being a valuable resource on bread making for the first time bakers.

2 Likes

Beautiful loaf​:blush::bread:

Nice, I just did the same Ken Forkish, and it was difficult to work with (see above). Although I could not bring myself to do the “plop it out of batton onto counter, move to Dutch oven with your hands” thing. I was too worried it would droop all over. So I did the Batton to Dutch oven flip thing (always dicey!) Oh, and because I made two, I used the lame on one loaf, and went natural on the other. I think I might prefer Ken’s no lame method.

Glad to see yours worked so nicely…

Yeah, moving the dough from the countertop to the dutch oven was a bit concerning, more so because I thought I would burn the back of my hands by touching the sides of the dutch oven. But, it actually worked as Ken described in his book.

Thanks!