Oven steam problem

Dear Breadtopians,

I need your help with a problem. I have Bosch electric built in oven and a Wolf duel fuel range with an electric oven. I have spoken to the manufacturers, and both of these ovens have a “safety feature” that automatically exhausts “excess” steam and heat. This exhaust cannot be turned off.

I know that I can bake in an enclosed vessel. Can I get steam in these ovens for other bakes, when I want some steam but don’t want to bake in a vessel or get a particularly crunchy crust? For example, to give extra lift to whole grain pan breads. So far, I have not been successful with the lava rock, cast iron pan method or the wet cotton towels in a roasting pan.

Thanks in advance for your input.

CarolS

Looks like you’re not going to be able to defeat the featrues built into your ovens. Wouldn’t be safe and you might damage some of the electronics. That can be very expenive to repair.

Although you may have to adapt this idea for your particular needs, a member at The Fresh Loaf has been working with an idea that you may be able to use. The Whole Oven Cloche thread can be found at this link. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/65008/whole-oven-cloche

See what you can come up with and let us all know.

Dave

Thank you Dave for you helpful response. I”ve been thinking along the lines suggested in the Fresh Loaf but not quite as large.

Hmm - if I don’t want a really crunchy crust but want a good oven spring, should I take the lid off after maybe 10 minutes? Does that sound reasonable?

Oh so many experiments, my brain hurts already.

CarolS

I suppose taking the lid off would depend on what type of bread you’re baking and the browning you’re looking for. The oven spring can depend on a number of things. Hydration, length of proof etc. Kind of like baking in any Cloche, it’s a learning process. The only difference will be that you’ll end up being the teacher!

If you want a smaller pan to cover things a good place to start looking is at WebstaurantStore for steam table type pans. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/steem-table-pans.html

You could also check any local restaurant supply stores locally. Most have web sites and will ship. I’d be interested in your results.

Dave

Breadtopians,

I have been reading a lot about oven steaming methods on the internet.

I’d like to thank Dave for his posts on this forum, as well as Maurizio of The Perfect Loaf and many posters on The Fresh Loaf’s Forum. I’d also like to thank Steve Gamelin of Artisan Bread by Steve for sharing the technique of securing two pans with binder clips in order to form a baking vessel. I am planning to try this method to secure 2 steam pans together. The pans will be from the same manufacturer, have the same size footprint but will be of different depths. I ordered steam pans from restaurant supply.com

I can see that I have lots of experiments to do. When I get data, I will report back to you all.

Thanks,
CarolS

Glad I was able to help a little. I look forward to your data, as I’m sure you now know you’re not the only one interested in this. If you have a way to post pictures as you go along I’d love to see them.

Dave

Carol - this works for my bagels and may work for you.

I buy large, square, thin cedar planks that just fit in my large kitchen sink. While my oven is preheating - with a baking stone in it - I soak a plank in warm water for 30 minutes at least.

When ready to bake, I slip my bagels onto it, and pop the plank onto the stone. The plank gives off gentle steam for 10 to 15 minutes, then I remove it so it won’t burn, and let the bagels finish baking.

No muss, no fuss, and it works.

Wow. Cool idea. Thanks so much! Homemade bagels are the best…

Carol