Oven Baking Temperature

I have had ( i feel ) good success using the Artisan Sourdough No-knead Bread recipe to bake my bread for several years. It calls for
30 minutes covered at 500 degrees and
15 min. uncovered at 450 degrees.
I went to reprint the recipe for someone and found the temp changed to
17 minutes covered at 500 and
17 minutes uncovered at 500 ?
Has anyone used these new temperatures to bake this recipe?

I recently used the recipe with the stated “new” temperatures and the bread comes out a little moist on the inside for artisan bread. I’ll try the 30/15 temps next week or so and see if there’s a significant difference.

1 Like

The 30/15 bake resulted in a much lighter colored crust, more similar to a baguette crust. Compared to the 15/15 crust, it was softer.

My 30/15 loaf had a more open crumb, but I chalk that up to a longer first and second rise and generally better dough handling (less handling in my case). The crumb was softer, which I suspect comes from being more fully cooked before being uncovered.

Crust-wise, the 15/15 loaf was more “artisinal” looking with a crustier crust. The 30/15 loaf was more like a commercially baked sourdough, though somewhat darker in color (that could be my own fault though, I think my oven runs hot).

1 Like

Bread This is a sour dough white and rye made with the 30 at 500 covered and 15 at 450 uncovered.