Oval banneton to round dutch oven

I’m traveling and want to bring along my oval bannetons but no way to travel with my oval batard clay bakers. I’m wondering what will happen if I bake my refrigerated dough in a round dutch oven. Will it spread making the oval banneton shape useless? In that case I’ll just deal with round loaves. Any ideas how to keep the standard oval “loaf” shape from banneton while baking in a round dutch oven?

Unless your flour is very low gluten strength or your dough extra-wet, it shouldn’t have a problem staying in an oval shape. I would recommend baking in a preheated baking vessel rather than doing a cold start (on the small chance that is your method), so the dough sets faster / has less time to splay.

Some of Breadtopia’s baking vessels don’t have side support and the bread does hold its shape, similar to how bakeries load the dough into an open oven rather than inside baking vessels–they have steam injection, so they don’t need the vessel to trap the stream–and their breads keep the shape.

Thank you. That makes sense. I do heat my vessel so it sounds like it will work. I will travel with my bannetons! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like