Olive Rosemary Sourdough

@jayhawkjimg Gorgeous loaves! I switch up the whole grain wheat variety in this recipe too. Spelt sounds great.

@Otis Thank you for sharing your recipe tweaks and tips. That’s super interesting info. A friend recently gave me a loaf of olive, lemon zest, black pepper bread where he’d chopped the olives. While one family member missed the big-olive mouth experience, the rest of us enjoyed how the olives were more dispersed through the crumb. The lemon and pepper were super too. Here’s the Instagram post where he shared his recipe if you’re curious.

I am curious but I do not have access to Instagram, cannot read/see anything on that website. I have made bread with black pepper, it works good in bread. It was an older Italian recipe, a ring loaf spiked with cubes of pancetta and course ground black pepper throughout. The pancetta is briefly cooked/fried to extract the fat which is incorporated back into the bread. It is kind of like the idea of adding olive oil to bread.

Here’s an earlier iteration of the olive-lemon-black pepper recipe in blog format. Search the word “olives” to jump to the recipe. Pancetta and black pepper bread sounds tasty!

Thank you. I followed the link all the way to the Food Geek and his video of whole olive and herb sourdough bread, the basis for the lemon pepper bread. Personally, I would not use whole olives because of pits and pieces of pits that occasional remain in olives. It does not happen often, but it does happen.

This was my second sourdough ever making. First one was a no-knead version and didn’t work for me. I followed this olive rosemary recipe exactly except use a whole grain wheat and 50% bread flour. It came out amazing!!

1 Like

I am a new baker, and this was my first time making sourdough bread. The comments and video helped with the folding. Everyone who tried it loved the flavor and texture. I was very happy with the results too! Next I will try with thyme. Thanks for such wonderful recipe :slight_smile:

Beautiful scoring and crumb! I’m glad you found the recipe helpful and tasty.

1 Like