Oat Porridge Sourdough

I made this Oat Porridge sourdough with yeast water recently. The steel cut oats were cooked in milk for breakfast, and a few days later I used the leftovers for a sourdough.

Here’s the formula. It was a pretty wet dough. Two loaves.

900g flour (700 bread, 200 whole grain turkey red)
710g water (460 regular, 250 fruit yeast water)
300g steel cut oat porridge
160g sourdough starter
1.5 tsp salt

4 Likes

Those look really good, and the crumb is beautiful. I will definitely try this. The one variable is how much moisture is in the oat porridge. For the millet porridge, I followed Eric’s instructions exactly, ending up with a pretty dry porridge that I eventually hand-crumbled into the dough. But I’m finding there’s a lot of flexibility in these recipes, so if it means the dough is wetter than ideal and harder to handle, it still works.

Yes, porridge hydration is so variable! How long the millet soaked and at what room humidity, how long the millet and water boiled before you lowered the temp to simmer, and how low is your lowest setting – all impact the wetness of the final porridge. I wrote the millet porridge blog, and in developing the recipe, I got dryer and wetter porridges using the same water and millet amounts. Confounding!

Oh, it was your recipe! Quite impressive. I’m sure it took a lot of work to put that together. Thank you!!

1 Like

They look wonderful and tasty Melissa! Great bake!

1 Like

Tried oat porridge sourdough for the first time today and absolutely love it. Beautifully moist crumb and crisp crust with a lovely flavor. Made with 30% whole wheat flour. Everyone should give this a try.

Looks great! I agree that the flavor is something special.

Just made a similar Oatmeal Porridge bread. I made my porridge from rolled oats, which were first toasted in brown butter and then simmered in whole milk. I used 18% whole wheat flour, with the rest being bread flour. Final dough was leavened with a sourdough levain (27% Bakers percentage). Final dough hydration was around 78% (Total hydration was around 81% accounting for the levain hydration of 50%). Finally, I added 15% buttermilk powder to enhance the richness and to give a bit more of a lactic acid twang (since my starter is generally pretty mild). I liked it better than my previous bake without buttermilk powder, but my wife preferred the previous bake better. Split decision, so I’ll keep tweaking! Either way it makes great sandwich bread!

This looks and sounds delicious. I get split opinions at my house too :slight_smile:

Tried another sourdough oat porridge bread recipe the other day. It included full fat buttermilk and a bit of honey. This one just used an oat soaker, not cooked oatmeal.

Recipe was from everything.sourdough over on Instagram

1 Like

That looks tasty. Perfect for a pb&j or BLT.