No yeast just Igor

Igor is my beloved starter because he tastes and smells great and help me to still bake without having commercial yeast. I’m including a pic of Igor’s sourdough bagels. Crispy and chewy with a nice crumb. Some are plain and some have jalapeños and Monterrey Jack on top. First time for me :smile:

5 Likes

@bethicita Tell your Igor that my Cyril says, “Hi!” Cyril is my faithful beloved starter.

Those bagels look awesome!

Leah

1 Like

Can you please share the recipe.

Thank you.

Tomorrow. The one I used didn’t contain jalapeños so I chopped up 2 and removed the seeds and ribs and I sliced two more for the tops. I also spread shaved Monterrey Jack on top
Of the sliced jalapeños.

I just found it. I didn’t have malt so I used 1 tablespoon light brown sugar and 1 tablespoon honey.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup (8oz, 224g) active sourdough starter (100% hydration)
  • 1 1/2 cups (12 oz, 360 ml) warm water (about 100°F)
  • 4.5 cups (22.5 oz, 630g) unbleached bread flour, divided
  • 2 tablespoons (1.5 oz, 42g) barley malt syrup (or honey + molasses)
  • 1 tablespoon table salt
  • 1/4 cup (2 oz, 56g) granulated sugar (for boiling)
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda (for boiling)
  • 1 egg white, whisked lightly
  • Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, caraway seeds or kosher/coarse sea salt for topping (optional). To make “everything” bagels combine a tablespoon of each of the seeds & a teaspoon salt with a pinch each of garlic powder & onion powder.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Combine the starter, water and 2 cups of the flour in a mixing bowl. Mix to form a thick batter. Cover the bowl and set aside for 30-60 minutes.
  2. Add the barley malt syrup and salt. Switch to the dough hook. Add 2 1/4 cups of the remaining flour and mix to combine. The dough should eventually cling to the hook and start to clear the sides of the bowl. If the dough is still a little sticky add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour a tablespoon at a time.
  3. Knead 5 minutes on medium speed. If working by hand, stir in as much of the flour as you can, then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in the remaining flour. Knead 5 minutes. Form the dough into a smooth ball.
  4. Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat the dough. Cover the bowl and set it aside at room temperature. After 30 minutes uncover the bowl, lift one side of the dough and fold it into the middle of the dough. Repeat with the other three sides of the dough then flip the dough over. You’re basically turning the dough inside-out to redistribute the yeast. Cover the bowl and after 30 minutes repeat the procedure. Cover the bowl and after 60 minutes repeat the procedure again. Cover the bowl and after 60 minutes the dough should be ready to shape the bagels. By now the dough should be lively, elastic and airy. If the dough is still sluggish give it another hour or two at room temperature.
  5. Line a baking pan with parchment paper then generously sprinkle the paper with flour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface without kneading out the air. Divide the dough into 12 even pieces. Use a cupped hand to roll each piece into a smooth ball.
  6. To form a bagel, poke your finger all the way through the center of a ball to make a hole. Use two fingers to gently open up the hole. Continue gently stretching to form the bagel or twirl the dough around your fingers to widen the center hole to 1 - 1.5" wide.
  7. Place the bagel on the prepared sheet pan and continue to form the remaining bagels. The dough will probably spring back a bit so you can go back and re-stretch the holes once you’re done forming all the bagels. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes then place the pan in the refrigerator overnight.
  8. In the morning, take the pan out of the refrigerator and unwrap it. The bagels should have risen by at least 50%. If they haven’t, leave them at room temperature until they’ve finished rising.
  9. Preheat the oven to 450°F. In a large pot combine 1 gallon of water with the sugar and baking soda and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to keep the water at a rolling simmer. Set a cooling rack over a sheet pan or kitchen towel and place it next to the stove. Line two half-sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  10. Once the oven is preheated, you’re ready to boil. Lift a bagel off the sheet pan, holding it by the center hole so it stretches a bit. Boil the bagels for 30 seconds, flip and boil for 30 seconds on the other side. Depending on the size of your pot, you can boil 3-4 bagels at a time. As you remove the bagels from the water, set them on the cooling rack to drain.
  11. Place 6 of the boiled bagels on each sheet pan. You could fit them all on one pan but they may stick together as they bake.
  12. Brush the bagels with egg white. Add the topping(s) of your choice. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
2 Likes

Thanks for the recipe! My family loves bagels, but the recipe I’ve used before isn’t ideal. Yours look great :slight_smile:

Made these today! Delicious!

Thanks for the recipe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those are beautiful. Seems like a lot of people are on a bagel-making kick. :smiley:

1 Like

Wow!!! I bet they taste wonderful! I’m eating one of mine tonight with cream cheese, tomatoes, and scallions.
You just made my day. :grinning:

1 Like

It helps to pass the time when one is in solitary confinement, oops Pandemic social isolation :joy:

3 Likes

This will be New For Me, that is going to add to the excitement of what I enjoy doing, being creative with this craft; looking forward to doing this very soon.

1 Like