New to the Forum: my First loaf

I will make this post my introduction and try to keep it short.
My order arrived quickly and I like the Cloche’s quality. So to break them in, decided to try the Artisan Sourdough Rye Bread recipe after watching the video a couple of times. In the past I have tried to make a rye loaf, and always came to disaster, so stuck to the standard white loaf to somewhat hold my interest.
I believe that things are going to change finally, as I am very impressed with the results of this first loaf. I know several things I shall do differently, those things that come from practice. The main thing I have learned is to have the proper tools for the job at hand, and artisan bread is no exception to that rule.
I took the time to start a wild starter (rye and water only) and to let it mature properly. Since I always tend to rush to the finish line, I am certain this has been my downfall and being patient while this starter became healthy was my first move in the right direction. So! 14 days later has produced a magnificent bread. So I am actually saying thank you to Eric Rusch and this web space in guiding me in the right direction.
Yes my name is Harlan but I prefer to go by Tim!

Hi Tim,
Nice loaf. Looks like you’ve been bitten by the bread bug. Have fun exploring the many facets of bread.
Stu

Beautiful bake! That rye is one of my favorites from this site!

Time … allowing enough time, taking time, slowing things down - key to my own sourdough improvements.

@harlantk, welcome to the wonderful world of bread!! Your rye loaf looks awesome! I’ve only been part of this wonderful bread community since about April 2018 and I still consider myself a real newbie. I was gifted some sourdough by a friend and I lovingly cultivated him for a few weeks before baking my first loaf with him. I’m totally sold on sourdough! Enjoy every bake and know that you’re part of a community of artisan bread enthusiasts.

Leah

Thank you Stuart, anon66425146, and Leah for the Kind and encouraging words.
I have of course been bitten; as in anything to do with the kitchen, but love baking almost as much as sauce making.
I am going to make this recipe again but this time not follow the recipe, the orange zest of one orange is way way way toooo powerful for my taste. The next few days are going to be devoted to packing up the starters I have going, to store them away, keeping out a single jar to work from.
Hopefully might bake the 2nd loaf this weekend, or soon after.
I am hoping that by sticking to one recipe until I feel comfortable with the sourdough thing, I can then explore the facet of a 100% rye bake. I have reasons to try and move away from wheat flour, though I will be exploring different wheat flours anyway.
Here is a pic of the first cut, what a crust!! had to get a chain saw for that. The loaf did not last long though, seems the gal we have help around the house, kinda snuck it away. :slight_smile:)
Again than you for the nice comments and the warm welcome!

Tim

1 Like

Tim, having someone “steal” a loaf of bread is the highest compliment! BTW, modifying some of the recipes to fit individual tastes really works in finding your bread baking rhythm. When I made Eric’s sourdough rye for the first time I followed the recipe exactly. To my taste (and childhood memories) that particular loaf reminded me more of pumpernickel than the NY Jewish rye I grew up with. Now I love a good pumpernickel; but my husband, not so much. So the next time I baked it, I eliminated the orange zest and the molasses. I simply did not put those ingredients in. AND I decided to just use caraway seeds instead of the mix of them as I seemed to find the fennel and anise just a little too heavy tasting once I was leaving out the orange and molasses. Voila! What baked up was an excellent rye bread that is now my “standard” rye bread recipe that I bake for us to enjoy and to give to friends. So once you get used to working with your sourdough and get into the rhythm of how these recipes work in your kitchen, feel free to modify and tweak them to your taste preferences. And please let us all know how they come out. Your modification may just may turn into someone’s dream loaf of bread!

Bake on!
Leah