New Clay Baker and stuck bread

I’ve been using my enameled dutch oven for baking and had no problems with the bread sticking but bought a Breadtopia clay baker as a designated bread pot. I used it for the first time today and while the loaf looks good, it is stuck to the bottom. I heat the pot with the oven and then turn the dough in when it’s all up to temperature. I didn’t use cornmeal like usual and didn’t use parchment because I don’t like having to throw something away. So, 1. how do I unstick my bread, and 2. how do I keep it from happening again?

1 Like

Here is a forum thread discussing glazed/unglazed, and I believe the takeaway is that after a few uses the likelihood of sticking drops. Fwiw, I use parchment a bunch of times before tossing.

I’d lay a wet dish towel overnight on top of any bread chunks that are currently stuck to baker. By morning, they should wash off easily. I think it’s probably best to let the baker dry completely before using it.

I always dimple the dough, once it’s in the banneton, with moist fingers, and then sprinkle a generous layer of unhulled/raw sesame seeds over the surface. Gently patting them in creates a pretty uniform surface. I have an oblong Breadtopia baker and my bread has never stuck, except for one time when I tried cold dough in a cold oven.
Hope that helps.
~ irene

I have both a Rommertopf and a Breadtopia clay baker. The bottom piece is glazed on both of them. I also transfer the dough into a pre-heated baker. I have never had a problem with bread sticking in either.

If you have an unglazed clay baker, you might consider “seasoning” the bottom piece before baking with it. Give it a light coat of olive oil and heat it to temperature, let cool and do it a second time.

A second suggestion: after removing the loaf from the oven, immediately cover the baker and let it stand covered for a couple of minutes. Steam will accumulate insider the baker and help the loaf to release from the baker.

I had a really bad sticking incident recently when I forgot to preheat my interior-glazed clay baker and put cold dough into a cold baker into a hot oven. I tried prying it out immediately after it came out of the oven with no luck. The loaf actually tore in half with the bottom stubbornly sticking to the baker. Interestingly, I found that once the baker with attached bread half had completely cooled, I was able to pry the remaining bread out cleanly. Has anyone else found that prying a cooled stuck bread is easier than a hot one?

As a disclaimer, I don’t own a cloche type baker, been using the same oven stone since 1985 (thank you Carl Oshinsky, “The Pizza Gourmet”).

I’m interested in trying a clay baker but wonder about glazed or seasoning with oil like MTJohn suggests. It would just be an experiment for me but I wouldn’t want to ruin things by oiling, then not being able to pass it along to a friend.Is it like pancakes and you have to ignore the first loaf?

Dave

Dunne - this is an easy one! Just get yourself a roll of Reynolds nonstick foil in any supermarket. It’s lined wirh food safe silicone, nothing sticks to it, wipes clean in a trice, and one sheet can be used over and over.

I use it to bake bread in a cloche or pot, roast veggies on a sheet, do sheet pan dinners, line cake pans for brownies - and clean up is a breeze, so I save on water use as well. Once you have it - the 95 sq ft roll is the best value - you’ll never be without it.

Always use parchment in my Romertopf here. Can re use no prob. Good luck!

I use a strip of parchment because I’m not big on burnt cornmeal, and it works perfectly. And I don’t mind throwing that little bit of parchment away.

I always use parchment paper in my clay baker so I’ve never had a bread stick to it. I use enough paper so I can hold onto it while getting my dough into the baker. I fold those sides over the outside edge of the baker so it doesn’t impede the rising and oven spring of the dough while baking. Since those sides stick out of the baker while it’s in the oven they get all crunchy and charred so I just throw away the parchment paper when I’m done baking. There as many ways of keeping bread from sticking as there are bakers. Everyone has their favorite method for their favorite baking vessel. This is what works for me.

Baking blessings,
Leah

Thanks all,
The second time I used parchment and the third time I used cornmeal in the pot. No more sticking! Now to figure out how to get the dough out of the basket for a NOT lopsided loaf. :wink:

@dunnemckee Good morning. This is basically the technique I use to help get my dough into my clay baker using the parchment paper. It might help you too.

Baking blessings,
Leah

Someplace, I ready that using a dusting of semolina flour in the bottom of the cloche baker will not burn and will keep the loaf from sticking. On my second ever baking, In said vessel, today, I did that and it worked great. It dusted right off when I removed the loaf from the baker.

I’ve been using the Breadtopia oblong and round clay bakers for years with parchment paper. I get consistent and fantastic results every single bake.

I recently purchased the Batard baker and in reading the care instructions, noticed it said bread will not stick if pre-heated. So I gave it a try without parchment paper. Now have I have a brand new Batard baker with the crust firmly glued to the bottom.

Any suggestions on getting it removed?

I’ve let mine cool and I still can’t get it unstuck. I’m never going to omit parchment paper ever again!

Yup, Alan, I’ve learned that lesson too. Parchment paper is a must.

1 Like

Do whatever works for you! If parchment paper gives you the best results then stick to it. Better not to ruin anymore loaves trying to find a way without parchment paper. No need to change for change sake.

Lid on and back in the oven at 350f for ten minutes should get it unstuck.

Sound like it’s too late for this loaf. So sorry!

Flouring the dough a bit before loading it can reduce the risk of sticking if you ever try no parchment paper again.

So disappointed! My bread is stuck to the cloche baker. I’m using it for the first time. I’ve always used parchment paper in my old pan but the instructions that came with the Baker specifically state “Another advantage of fully preheating your Baker prior to placing the dough inside is that the dough won’t stick to it”
Well it appears the instructions need to be corrected. The dough most definitely sticks to it.

As far as I know before first use you need to soak it in water for about an hour then allow to fully dry. This seems to be the general advice given and i’m surprised it doesn’t come with the instructions. Most pots of this nature need “breaking in” (for want of a better term).