Need an idea for a polenta recipe with starter

I have enough bread to last me for a little while. So no bread recipes please. Looking for ideas for what I can make with polenta and starter. Other ingredients I have in stock are…

Pumpkin Seeds, Linseeds and Sunflower Seeds. Buckwheat flour, Rye flour, Bread flour and a touch of Whole Spelt flour. Whole rolled oats, rye berries and wheat berries. Olive Oil. Powdered Peanut Butter. Baking soda and powder. And various herbs and spices.

All ideas most welcome.

Thank you.

I’m making sourdough corn and blueberry pancakes tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes. Winging it.

Fermenting overnight with a 6% inoculation:

70% ap flour
30% whole yellow dent flour
72% water

Tomorrow I’ll add some eggs, butter, baking powder, salt, sugar…

1 Like

I look forward Melissa. Thanks for trying this. I’m thinking if all goes well this will make a nice late Saturday breakfast. Lovely looking loaves in the background.

These were a hit. They tasted a bit like not-sweet corn muffins. I think the blueberries were key to adding a juiciness – but that could be because I don’t usually do syrup.
The best part was that the outside of the pancakes was crispy.

I doubled the following – so the amounts below make half what you see in the photos above. I also kept the batter thick, which I prefer even though the shapes of my pancakes are wonky as a result.

The night before:
Mix the following, pull your starter’s flour and water from the amounts below:

• 115g milled corn flour (1 cup)
  • 275g all purpose flour (2 cups)
  • 300g water (1 1/4 cups)

Add to the expanded batter the next morning:

• 2 eggs
  • 4 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt

This batter is thick. You can thin it out with more water as you prefer. I divided the batter and added blueberries to half and chocolate chips to the other half. Then I fried the pancakes on a non-stick skillet, no grease.

1 Like

Thank you so much Melissa. They look delicious. I like the way all the flour is in the preferment and then you just add the rest of the ingredients to a consistency you like with additions to your taste then fry. Lovely combo which looks nice a airy. My Saturday breakfast taken care of.

Thanks, Abe – I agree about preferring to ferment all the flour. Theoretically it makes the pancakes more healthy if all the flour is fermented, and the night before prep makes them more convenient imo than regular pancakes. I learned this approach from Eric’s waffles.