Naturally Leavened Einkorn Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

Thanks, Melissa, this is wonderful! I have experimented with einkorn in the past using my usual method and have ended up with delicious frisbees. I finally gave up on trying to make bread out of the stuff and used it just as a cooked grain (which is quite delicious and cooks much more quickly that other wheats.) I’m lucky to have a local organic grower, so I’ll give this a try for my next bake. You rock!

I have been baking with einkorn for about 5 years now. I use both whole grain and all purpose einkorn. It is my standard flour for everything. Sourdough is always my leaven of choice but sometimes I do use a small amount of Bioreal organic yeast which I get only from Breadtopia! This bread looks amazing!

Thank You so much for posting this info. on einkorn. I’ve been wondering about it and can’t wait to try the recipes!
A couple of questions:

1. Can non-dairy (almond or coconut) “milk” be used instead of cow’s milk?
  2. For those of us who are not gluten-intolerant, can we use our regular non-einkorn sourdough starter–and if so, how would it change the recipe?
    :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Thanks, @wendyk320 I’ll have to try einkorn as a cooked grain. I hope you have good luck with this recipe. I had an einkorn frisbee a while back, and yes, it was delicious if hard to turn into sandwiches haha

@inthebeginningbc Wow, five years of experience. I bet you could give me an einkorn tutorial :slight_smile: I made some 50:50 einkorn: all purpose hand pies a while back, but all purpose einkorn would have been a neat choice.

@Elizabeth_Levy You’re welcome! I’m glad the recipe is going to come in handy for you. I hope you enjoy the results.

1. Substituting non-dairy liquids should be fine. If you use sweetened versions, the fermentation may go faster than milk (more sugar, less protein and fat).

Unsweetened almond milk tends to be lower in sugar, fat and protein than cow’s milk, so it will act more like water and possibly add a nice nuttiness.

Unsweetened coconut milk has about the same fat as 2% cow’s milk, less protein and sugar though. I’m not sure, maybe similar fermentation to milk.

I’d love to hear how it goes and which you prefer.
Here’s the table i was working off of.

1. AP flour in the starter will increase the bloom of the final loaf. It’s probably a good idea to score the dough, so it doesn’t burst out the side. No need to change anything in the recipe though.
1 Like

Thank You so much, Melissa!
I will let you know how it goes.
:bread: :gift_heart:

1 Like

Very interesting and very descriptive process with pics. I have struggled using rye flour and i think I can carry over some of the tips. I don’t know where I can source the Einkorn but would love to give it a try.

Thanks for the extensive writeup on the Einkorn. Since starting baking last November I have tried various Einkorn recipes (trying to understand the writer and their descriptions) and modifying other recipes to use the Einkorn. Some success some failure (bricks LOL) anyways you leave little to the imagination. Look forward to trying your variations.

Thanks, Melissa, for another great recipe, can’t wait to try this one as einkorn is my go to wheat for most of my bread baking. I always use the clay bakers. Haven’t tried the metal pans because the one time I tried it kinda burned to the point it looked liked a black hard rock. will defiantly try yours. It amazes me where you find the energy to bake that much bread. Glad you do because all the recipe you write, and I try they all come out very well.Used to have a problem with sticky flour until either you, or someone on this site said to solve the sticky hand problem was to dip your paws in a bowl of water. thank you and have a bless day.

@brewcat Yes, these strategies are good for all whole grain rye bread too! Good luck sourcing einkorn.

@DennisM You’re welcome! May your future einkorn baking be brickless : )

@mccauleyt63 I’m glad you’ve found Breadtopia and my recipes clear and useful. I love clay bakers, too, and with a side-walled one, you may be able to do this recipe. The time and temps in this recipe should prevent a black rock in the metal pan, though :crossed_fingers:

I made the einkorn bread the other day in a slightly hybrid version of your several variations. I added honey but not milk, and the bulk fermentation went to about 100% rather than 75% by accident, but my results were pretty much identical to yours. Thanks so much for coming up with a workable recipe for this unique grain, it was a really interesting bake, different from any other. The bran of my einkorn must be very thin and delicate because the flour that it produced was remarkably soft and fluffy, more than any grain I’ve ever milled with the Mockmill, almost creamy in texture. The dough had pretty good body but was, as you warned, very sticky. The crust was a beautiful reddish-brown color and my scoring completely disappeared just as your did even though there was some modest oven spring and a domed top. The crumb was very moist, moderately dense and fine. I was able to cut very thin slices, something I can’t do with other whole grain breads. And the flavor was lovely and unique. I will happily make this again and again.

Made the bread last night and turned out just like your pictures. Perfect.

@wendyk320 and @DennisM I’m so glad the recipe worked for you both! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I think there is wiggle room in the fermentation, and I agree the flour is sooo silky. I liked it for Pop-Tarts/hand pies a while back probably for that reason…gotta do that again :slight_smile:

Thanks for this recipe, Melissa.

I made something like the lean version with a few modifications:

• instead of 600g of berries, I used 650g
  • instead of 420g of water, I used 455g
  • instead of 100g of einkorn starter, I used ~ 10g of cold, unfed, white starter
  • instead of scoring, I ham-handedly messed up the top of the proofed dough by clumsily allowing the plastic I used to cover it during proofing to get stuck to the top so when I took it off it made a mess :confused:.
  • Trying for a thinnish, sandwich-bread crust, I reduced the baking temperatures.

I mixed up the ingredients all at once in a stand mixer for about 15 minutes and then scooped the dough / batter straight into a buttered bread pan and let it proof in there overnight. When the dough had risen up near the top of the bread pan, I put it into a pre-heated 425F oven using your very nice foil steam invention for 30 minutes and then uncovered and reduced oven temp to 350F for another 35 minutes.

I didn’t get any oven spring at all, but I may have over-proofed it some. Next time I’ll try baking a bit earlier. Though the internal temp was 210 when I took it out, I could have probably added another 5-10 minutes of uncovered baking time at my reduced temps. Still, I’m happy with the crumb and the flavor is very good. It’s a nice sandwich loaf.

Did you increase berries and water, decrease starter to keep things mostly Einkorn while using your white starter?

Nice looking bread! It’s great to know that the entire fermentation can take place in the loaf pan. With a domed plastic cover next time :wink:

I trashed the surface of one of my test loves by trying a lovely (homemade paper) stencil that stuck to the dough and basically had to be ripped off. I used a wet spatula to smooth the surface again, but it was oddly pale from the all-purpose flour of the stencil that I had to smear around :pensive:

Thanks for sharing your experience with some modifications…really cool that you can use so little starter.

Yeah, I was trying to keep the volume and hydration about the same as Melissa’s recipe knowing that I wanted to use a small amount of white starter. Most of the changes I made were 100% due to laziness :smiley:.

This bread has a great texture for open face kinda things. I think it would be the bomb with some cream cheese and smoked salmon on it.

Next time I think will keep a lot of my changes but try the enriched recipe, aiming for a somewhat softer sandwich bread.

1 Like

Thank you. Yeah doing just one fermentation right in the loaf pan and no attempt at shaping this sticky dough made it super easy.

1 Like

I’ve made sourdoughs from both whole and sifted einkorn. I prefer the taste of rye and spelt over wheats, however, but love love love using einkorn in muffins with berries!

1 Like

Thanks for the info … I was going to make the enriched with 100% sub of my white starter, but you have me thinking!