My sourdough rye

Well I baked a loaf of SD Rye however it did not turn out as expected. The flavor was there but the crumb was too tight and the loaf dense and small. This was my recipe.

210 grams bread flour
103 grams rye flour
12 grams sugar
1.5 Teaspoons salt
60 grams white bread starter
2 Tablespoons caraway seeds
1 Tablespoon EVOO
355 grams warm tap water

The original recipe called for instant yeast 1/4 tsp

I mixed everything and let it sit for 24 hours and it doubled in size, shaped it and proofed 90 minutes.

and this was the end result
20191109_203441

I was hoping for something like this

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what I did wrong. The measurements were accurate and I deducted the flour and water because of the starter.

Little mysteries…TIA

24 hrs at room temperature probably led to overproofing, especially with warm water in the mix. Doubling shouldn’t be way too much fermentation, but sometimes it’s hard to say/see what’s going on in the dough.
What temp and process was the bake?

Hi, the temp was at 450F for 30 minutes, maybe over proofing was the problem because it did not noticeably rise.

I am not giving up I got a batch ready to go in an couple of hours. it has have been proofing for 5 or 6 hours, then I will knock it back and form it, then bake after 60 - 90 minutes.

Making bread is an adventure lol

Your baking strategy seems fine. Preheated clay or cast iron vessel for 30 minutes?

Good luck with this next bake.

1 Like