My sourdough rye

Well I baked a loaf of SD Rye however it did not turn out as expected. The flavor was there but the crumb was too tight and the loaf dense and small. This was my recipe.

210 grams bread flour
103 grams rye flour
12 grams sugar
1.5 Teaspoons salt
60 grams white bread starter
2 Tablespoons caraway seeds
1 Tablespoon EVOO
355 grams warm tap water

The original recipe called for instant yeast 1/4 tsp

I mixed everything and let it sit for 24 hours and it doubled in size, shaped it and proofed 90 minutes.

and this was the end result
20191109_203441

I was hoping for something like this

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what I did wrong. The measurements were accurate and I deducted the flour and water because of the starter.

Little mysteries…TIA

24 hrs at room temperature probably led to overproofing, especially with warm water in the mix. Doubling shouldn’t be way too much fermentation, but sometimes it’s hard to say/see what’s going on in the dough.
What temp and process was the bake?

Hi, the temp was at 450F for 30 minutes, maybe over proofing was the problem because it did not noticeably rise.

I am not giving up I got a batch ready to go in an couple of hours. it has have been proofing for 5 or 6 hours, then I will knock it back and form it, then bake after 60 - 90 minutes.

Making bread is an adventure lol

Your baking strategy seems fine. Preheated clay or cast iron vessel for 30 minutes?

Good luck with this next bake.

1 Like

Rye and wheat bread are 2 different animals. I make rye using 47% Whole Grain White Organic and 53% whole grain rye every week and the crumb is open (for rye) and moist.

I have found that using a bread pan, or other bake vessel to contain the bread from going sideways is the best UNLESS using smaller % of rye flour. Anything over 50% rye is considered by some to be a more difficult bread to master. Rye does not have the “structure” to maintain a vertical spring, it sort of goes horizontally UNLESS you make the dough very dry but that shows up in the crumb.

Working the dough to develop gluten I could never figure out in some recipes. WHAT GLUTEN? 50% and over does not have very much? Rye is held together with a sticky viscous material. I do a couple of stretch and folds and done.

If rye is under proofed it will be dense, if over proofed it will be dense. The timing is rather close for rye meaning when it is ready for the next step. The bulk not as critical as the final as the final proof window is in minutes. Over 50% rye will bulk up to 1 1/2 to 2x its original size will have a smooth texture and have a clean sour smell. Mine usually proofs up about 1/2 again as big as it started, roughly.

Here is the hard part (for me) “GENERALLY” when small cracks appear in the loaf during the final rise it needs to go in the oven in a few minutes. Over 50% rye can over proof very quickly. This is all good if using flour to shape but of course you would be adding more flour. Presently I shape with an oil slick but that hinders the cracks in the top. Next loaf I will try a water slick, just hope I don’t wind up with a gooey mess on the board. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you like rye breads get a copy of Stanley Ginsberg’s book “The Rye Baker.”

1 Like