Milling my own flour

Ok so I’m milling my own flour but I keep making frisbees which could also double as door stops. My husband is trying to be supportive of my newbie baking efforts but I do hear loud bursts of laughter from our garage ( he blames the dogs!!!). All the baking books I have ( and I have a few) none of them talk about using freshly milled flour. I have Turkey Red & Colorado white…does anyone have a conversion chart that I could use??? I have spent so much money on this flour mill & wheat berries, my intention of saving money by making my own bread ( and being healthier & better tasting) is now in my rearview mirror…HELP!!! I want to make a beautiful loaf of bread that I can throw at my husband!!! although the frisbees would be more apt…

2 Likes

I would love to assist you in making a football-shaped bread to throw at your husband :sweat_smile: Here’s an assortment of reading material/recipes that might help you out.

This features 50% home-milled flour, but the technique would mostly likely be even more helpful in 100% home-milled whole grain bread.

Another technique comparison:

Just a couple of recipes with a wheat that performs somewhat similarly to turkey red.

1 Like

I mill my own flour, too. Here’s what works for me: after grinding I sift through a 1/50” mesh sifter to extract some of the bran and germ. I then use half freshly milled flour and half King Arthur bread flour. My bulk fermentation usually lasts about 5 hrs (in a 70 degree environment) and final proof can be as little as 2 hours.

My 1:1 ratio of freshly milled to KAF turns out really gorgeous loaves that have a mildly nutty flavor from the whole wheat content and great oven spring and crumb structure.

I think the more whole wheat you use the harder it will be to get a dramatic rise.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I use hard wheat (milled), and I seem to get real meaty bread. Hopefully, using the King Arthurs, it may give it more air. I even use a bread enhancer.

You might really enjoy the book Flour lab : an at-home guide to baking, with freshly milled grains
by Adam Leonti

It’s all about milling and recipes / techniques based entirely on freshly milled flour.

1 Like

I have and read the book Home-ground Flour by Sue Becker. i enjoyed that, i will look at Adam’s book. I just keep getting good tasing bread but it is meaty. I even have very sticky dough, that i work with. Thanks for the help

just ordered it, let you know what I think