Milk Bread for Hamburger Rolls

I guess you can tell I really like the flavor and crumb of this dough. I needed some hamburger rolls tonight so modified the original recipe to fit my bun pans.

Milk Bread for Sandwich Rolls

using home milled whole grain organic white flour

Recipe adjusted to make six 4.7 oz. Hamburger rolls using a 4” diameter x 6 hole hamburger pan

1. Scalded milk 240g or as a substitute 158g Half & Half and 82g water 61.5%
  2. 2 1/2 whole large eggs 137g 35%
  3. Fine Ground Organic Whole White Wheat 390g 100%
  4. Milk Powder 12g 3%
  5. Powdered sugar 36g 9.3%
  6. Table salt 5g 1.2%
  7. Salted butter 36g 9.3%
  8. Instant yeast 6g 1.5%

Directions:

1. Scald milk and cool to <104F.
  2. Mix all ingredients except butter using a mixer set at low speed until a soft dough forms.
    (hand kneading is NOT advised)
  3. Once the dough forms introduce butter incorporating. Continue mixing on low speed for at least 25 minutes or more or until the dough becomes semi-elastic. It is very important that the dough becomes elastic and stretchy. When ready it should clear the sides of the bowl.
    (if dough is not stretchy the outcome of the bread may be less than ideal.)
  4. Empty mixer bowl to the counter turn into a rough ball (you may need to wet hands as the dough will be on the sticky side) and cover dough with plastic wrap to protect from the air and proof the dough in a warm/humid place (82F is ideal) until it roughly doubles in size (approximately 40 minutes depending on conditions.)
  5. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and shape into smooth round balls. You may need to wet hands as the dough will be on the sticky side. Allow to rest for five to ten minutes.
  6. Flour the counter and dough balls lightly if needed to shape. Shape into desired balls and flatten into hamburger pan.
  7. Cover dough and allow to proof in the pan until the center reaches just above the top.
  8. Pre-heat oven to 425F for 30 minutes then place pan in oven. Spray tops of the dough balls lightly with water and place in oven or baste with egg wash. Reduce heat to 350F and bake for 45 minutes until hollow when thumped on bottom.
1 Like

Thanks for the Milk Bread For Hamburger Rolls recipe, Dennis. Can’t wait to try it. Know they’ll taste as good as they look. Spectacular.

I’ll be posting another recipe later today for milk rye another whole grain home milled adaption using dark rye flour (whole grain), and whole grain Turkey Red and Organic White, Sitting in the proofer right now, never know how my trials will turn out but I’ll post the results anyways.