MacGyvering my way to my perfect loaf

I’ve been making sourdough bread for a few months now in a dutch oven, and I could never quite get the loaf I wanted. The thing that especially bothered me was how thick and dark my bottom crust was, even after trying various approaches to mitigate. So last week I decided to think outside the box (or Dutch Oven, in this case) and devise a new baking method.

Instead of baking in my dutch oven, I instead placed my proofed loaf on my heated pizza stone and inverted my dutch oven to use as a done to capture steam. I also only preheated to 475 and took the temp down to 450 after removing the dutch oven 15 minutes into the bake.

It worked exactly as I hoped, and I am so happy with my recent loaves! Now just working up the resolve to try something new.

5 Likes

Gorgeous, I haven’t tried anything similar with my baking steel. I’m still happy using my Dutch oven.
To keep it from getting to baked on the bottom, I have the Dutch oven on the second lowest rack and below it on the lowest rack I place my baking steel. That helps shield it from the direct heat of the bottom element. Also I use parchment paper under my dough and two layers of parchment can help even more than one.
Benny

1 Like

Wow! Wow! Wow! It’s BEAUTIFUL!

1 Like