Leah's Reminiscent Sourdough Rye Bread

Our wonderful contributor to this forum, @Fermentada, asked me to post my modified recipe for rye bread. Melissa, here it is:

Leah’s Reminiscent Sourdough Rye

This recipe is a modified version of Eric’s Artisan Sourdough Rye Bread posted on Breadtopia.com. ALL credit and thanks to Eric for his wonderful recipe that was the inspiration for me to try and make a bread similar in taste to what I enjoyed as a child. Please watch Eric’s video to see how he makes his original recipe.

Ingredients (I weigh most of my ingredients but have included volume measurements in the recipe.)

Water: 400 grams, 1 ¾ cups

Sourdough starter: 70 grams, 1/3 cup (I use my one-and-only starter which is an AP flour starter.)

Rye flour: 245 grams, 1 ¾ cups (I use Breadtopia’s Whole Rye Berries that I fresh mill myself for use in this recipe.)

Bread flour: 245 grams, 1 ¾ cups (I use Breadtopia’s High Protein bread flour which I find gives me the best rise in this recipe when combined with the rye flour.)

Caraway Seed: 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons (I didn’t weigh this.)

Salt: ½ teaspoon (Eric’s original recipe calls for 12 grams or approximately 1 ¾ teaspoons of salt. I needed to reduce the amount of salt for health reasons but still have enough salt in the recipe for taste. Using ½ teaspoon works for me. Please adjust the amount of salt as you like.)

Instructions

• In a mixing bowl, mix the starter into the water. Then mix in the caraway seeds.
  • In a separate bowl, combine the flours and salt.
  • Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet using a dough whisk or spoon until the flour is well incorporated. Cover with plastic and let rest for 15 minutes. After about 15 minutes, mix again for a couple minutes. Again let rest for 15 minutes and mix one more time as before. (I set a timer for about 3 minutes for each mixing.) Now cover the bowl with plastic and let sit at room temperature for roughly 12-14 hours. (I live in the desert southwest and the ambient temperature in my house for approximately 9 months out of the year is around 78-80 degrees in my kitchen. During those months I let the dough sit out on my counter to rise for approximately 8-9 hours instead of 12-14 hours.)
  • After fermenting/proofing on the counter, stretch and fold the dough and shape into boule or batard (round or oblong) shape for baking. Sprinkle with flour and cover in plastic to let it rest 15 minutes before putting in a proofing basket for the final rise. If you don’t have a proofing basket, line a bowl with a well-floured clean kitchen towel and put the dough in there for the final rise. The final rise should last between 1 to 1 ½ hours. (In my home with the warmer temperatures I have been known to check the basket to see how the dough is rising after 40 minutes. Most of the time, it’s ready to bake.)
  • Preheat your oven to 475 F a half hour before baking. (I just turn on my oven to preheat my clay baker when I put the dough into the basket for its rise.)
  • Transfer your dough to your preheated clay baker, score your dough with a razor or sharp serrated knife, cover your clay baker and bake at 475F for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, reduce heat to 450 F and bake for 10 more minutes and bake until internal temperature is approximately 200 F.
  • Let cool completely before eating.

Thanks so much for posting this! I can’t wait to try it. I agree with the immense satisfaction from eating what you baked (or cook or grow too) :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Fermentada Melissa, please let me know how you like this bread when /if you make it. We like it! Actually, it was my husband, my sweet Stanley, who wasn’t a huge fan of the molasses, orange and combination of seeds in the original recipe. He liked it, but asked me if I could make a more simple rye bread, one with just caraway seeds, that would taste more like what we both had growing up. Now, I was raised on Jewish or NY rye bread and he was raised more on Swedish Limpa rye bread (which I would love to try and find a simple sourdough recipe for…hint, hint, LOL). By simply not adding both the molasses and orange zest and choosing to use only caraway seeds instead of the combination of seeds, this bread recipe is the result and he loves it! Turns out, a number of my friends do too.

Leah

LOL, hint noted :slight_smile:

I’ll let you know how it goes!

@Fermentada Melissa, you know what’s crazy? On a quick whim I looked up a couple sourdough Swedish Limpa Rye bread recipes online and it’s basically Eric’s rye recipe! The irony is that my Stanley found he didn’t prefer the molasses, orange and combination of seeds in the rye bread. Either his Swedish mom gave him more the type of rye bread I had growing up (easier to find in grocery stores, I would imagine) or he simply lost the taste for Limpa rye or never really had it in the first place. So don’t worry about trying to find me a recipe, LOL! Apparently I don’t have to search anymore!

Leah

That sorta happened to me the first time i ate a Snickers bar (childhood favorite) as an adult. I no longer liked it. Though I’m not certain they didn’t actually change the formula :joy:

Maybe Stanley would like rugbrod, if he likes busy mouthfeel bread.

It smells perfect and I’m looking forward to baking it later today/tonight.
(I turned it into a pan loaf because my son just got braces on his teeth and he could use a soft crust.)

@Fermentada Melissa, WOW! That looks awesome! I really hope you like how it comes out and the flavor.

I may be prepping one today to bake tomorrow. I made sourdough pancakes this morning to use up a good amount of Cyril but it turns out I still have a lot of Cyril, LOL! I fed him 6 days ago and he lives in my fridge. I’m thinking of not feeding him before using him later today just because I still have such a significant amount of him. With the ambient temperatures in my kitchen what they are (78-80 degrees) I don’t think using a bit “unfed” Cyril would be a significant issue. What do you think?

Leah

I think it would be fine as long as you are patient. In a sense it’s a microlevain bread (small inoculation) since your microbe population in week-old cold starter is low. Warm up the starter and it’ll maybe be higher, depends on how exhausted the food supply was.

@Fermentada Melissa, I may end up feeding Cyril tomorrow and baking on Saturday morning just to make sure he’s really healthy and viable. My time frame for feeding him now, letting him ferment on the kitchen counter and then prepping a dough later today is a bit off due to other commitments. In thinking about it, I really do want a freshly fed Cyril since getting a rye bread to get the kind of rise I want can be a bit daunting to begin with. I have a similar issue when I make my cinnamon raisin bread. That one needs freshly fed Cyril for the best rise. I think the rye bread would too. I’ll let you know!

Thanks,
Leah

I love the Leah’s Rye! It’s delicious. Thank you for sharing.

I suspect my crumb would have been more open with a high heat bake like yours, but I needed a soft pan loaf for buttered toast and the crumb is nice and tender. I baked at 400F for 50 minutes, covered the first 15 minutes.

I think the caraway seed amount is perfect! Probably to be even more like “diner toast” rye, I have to drop the rye flour to as little as 25%, but I prefer this 50% flavor!

Here are some pics

1 Like

Gorgeous - putting this on my to-bake list.

1 Like

@Fermentada Melissa, I’m in bread heaven because you like my rye! Funny you should mention thinking about reducing the amount of rye flour to 25% instead of the 50% in the recipe. I’ve thought of the same thing too but I’ve never done it. I love the flavor with the 50/50 ratio so I’ve never tried reducing the amount of rye. In my mind, if I love it, why mess with it anymore.

FYI, I have fed Cyril this morning and he’s happily bubbling away. Later today I will be prepping a rye bread and baking it tomorrow morning. I’ll try to remember to take pictures.

Leah

Looking forward to seeing your version :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Fermentada Well, Melissa, my end result was a bit disappointing as I believe, once again, my dough over proofed. The temperature in my kitchen is definitely challenging.

I removed the dough from the refrigerator, having prepped it early afternoon yesterday, and placed it on the kitchen counter at 11:00pm last night. Sorry, no picture. I set an alarm so that would wake around 7:20am this morning which would give the dough about an 8-1/2 hour ferment on the counter. It was huge! Sorry no picture. Mistake #1 – I should have gotten out of bed earlier! Sadly, I am NOT an early riser and I didn’t feel like staying up until midnight before putting the dough on the counter.

I immediately turned it to shape and fold and let rest for 15 minutes. It rose and seemed well. I then shaped and put it into the banneton, lined with a cotton liner dusted with rice flour and covered in plastic for 40 minutes. It rose in the basket BUT maybe too much. Cyril may have lost all his oomph. His get-up-and-go may have got-up-and-went. Mistake #2 – Next time check the rise in the basket after 30 minutes. Here’s a picture of the rise in the basket:

This is immediately after baking before I removed it from the clay baker:

Though I know it will taste good, I’m still very disappointed that instead of “bread” I once again have more of a “pancake.”

rye6

The bread is currently on the counter, cooling. I do know that rye bread isn’t particularly high-rising BUT I think I have had better success with it during the cooler season. I love rye bread so I will definitely keep baking it and changing up the ferment/rise times to see what works best for me during the warmer weather. I know Cyril was very viable as I had just fed him that morning.

It’s a good thing I still enjoy eating my “failures” though. I’ll try and get a picture of the sliced bread later for you.

Leah

While I rarely have the problem you have, I do have a suggestion for dealing with an overnight counter proof in a house that’s too warm: set up some sort of tent or container (picnic cooler, upside down roasting pan, a covered box of some sort, etc.) where you’ll put the banneton along with an ice pack to create your own mini-climate. I do this often with cheesemaking where I need a temp (short term) in between room temp and that of the cheese cave. It requires some resourcefulness, but that’s sort of fun! And a thermometer to stick in there is helpful.

2 Likes

@Arlo48 That is an ingenious suggestion and one I certainly would not have thought of! I’m certainly going to consider that technique.

Thank you,
Leah

@Fermentada and @Arlo48 Here is my sliced bread. The flavor is delicious! Even though it didn’t rise as high as I would have liked (I do want every bread to come out “perfect”) it is beautifully baked, not gummy or doughy with a great chewy texture.

My husband, my sweet Stanley, loves it and we both just now enjoyed turkey sandwiches on rye. And that’s good enough for me!

Leah

It looks great, nice and open. Summer does require adjustments, whether toward shorter fermentation times or more open-flatter bread lol. This looks quite tall for all the whole grain rye and seeds though!

1 Like

@Fermentada Melissa, I used a ruler (I know, too funny, right) and measured the height of this loaf. It was about 2-3/4 inches tall (or short, as it were, LOL). The flavor and texture was fabulous so, honestly, I really don’t have any complaints. Every loaf has a personality all its own. I am beginning to learn to accept that aspect of sourdough bread baking and just enjoy Cyril and the bread he so faithfully produces for me. I’m a work in progress, LOL!

Leah

2 Likes