Leah's Easy Sourdough Pancakes

Leah’s Easy Sourdough Pancakes

This is a no-waiting sourdough pancake recipe that I make when I’m craving sourdough pancakes but don’t have any buttermilk in the house and don’t want to add sugar and a lot of ingredients. Though not traditional, this recipe can be a healthier alternative to other sourdough pancake recipes.

Yields 2-3 large pancakes (a nice, LARGE single serving)

INGREDIENTS

• ½ cup unfed sourdough starter, straight from the refrigerator. Recently fed will also work.
  • 1 heaping tablespoon flour of any kind (OPTIONAL for fluffier pancakes. I use some Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • Dash cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon almond extract

DIRECTIONS

• If using additional flour for fluffier pancakes, combine it with the starter in a small bowl. Whisk in the egg.
  • Melt the butter in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat and swirl it around to coat the pan. Pour the remaining oil into the sourdough-egg mixture, leaving enough in the pan so your pancake won’t stick to it. (I use a ceramic non-stick pan so I just melt about a teaspoon of butter and add it directly to my sourdough-egg mixture instead of coating the pan. I also use only medium heat.)
  • Add the remaining ingredients to the sourdough-egg mixture and mix. Wait a couple minutes for the mixture to puff up a bit. You’ll probably see some bubbles.
  • Pour approximately 1/3 to ½ of the batter (depending on size pan you’re using) into your hot pan. Flip after bubbles have formed on pancake. Remove from the pan once pancake is golden-brown.
  • Grease pan and repeat for remaining batter.
  • Top as desired and enjoy. (My favorite way to enjoy these is with some real maple syrup and slice banana.)
4 Likes

Thanks – I often find myself wanting sourdough pancakes without having taken steps the night before to prep them. This is great.

1 Like

I never heard about sourdough pancakes. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I will definitely try once to bake.

Hi Leah, This morning after a week away from home, I was also craving SD anything! I took my cold SD discard, added an egg, a little baking powder, blueberries and banana and a dash of maple syrup to make pancakes, they were delicious and like you said, “healthy.” I will try your recipe, because I did not measure anything. Thank you for your post!

1 Like

@Tallahassee, Enjoy! Blueberries and bananas are such a wonderful combination. I have both in the house and may have to do make some up myself! Maybe even add a few chopped walnuts! YUM!

Leah